Star Finch Hen advice

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Jenk

Star finch.jpg
Hi, can anyone offer any advice? my star hen has been behaving weird and I'm not sure what's up with her, she often sits around perched with her head tucked in behind her shoulders with her wing feathers draped down low along with tail feathers quivering, she is eating OK and it looked as though she may have improved but then back to quivering and head tucked in, see the picture attached... I'm no expert but could she be egg bound? she has been like this for a couple of weeks, I isolated her a week ago with heat and some spark but she's still the same.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jenk
Finchman1

Check to see if your breast bone is thin,is rear wet or dirty? she may be sick
Craig52

Hi Jenk,i would catch her up and put her in the hospital cage at 30c and medicate her for coccidia for a few days then with moxidection for a few days.They look to me to be the Eastern star which are not as bright as the Western specie, but are pretty uncommon.If you are going to put her in the hot box,put them both in. Craig
Jenk

Craig52 wrote:Hi Jenk,i would catch her up and put her in the hospital cage at 30c and medicate her for coccidia for a few days then with moxidection for a few days.They look to me to be the Eastern star which are not as bright as the Western specie, but are pretty uncommon.If you are going to put her in the hot box,put them both in. Craig
Hi Craig,

Thanks, I have another 12 birds in the aviary, I should treat them all right? However they won't all fit in the hot box, can't I just treat them all in the aviary with the medication alone or is the hot box absolutely necessary? Thanks again.
Jenk
Craig52

Jenk wrote:
Craig52 wrote:Hi Jenk,i would catch her up and put her in the hospital cage at 30c and medicate her for coccidia for a few days then with moxidection for a few days.They look to me to be the Eastern star which are not as bright as the Western specie, but are pretty uncommon.If you are going to put her in the hot box,put them both in. Craig
Hi Craig,

Thanks, I have another 12 birds in the aviary, I should treat them all right? However they won't all fit in the hot box, can't I just treat them all in the aviary with the medication alone or is the hot box absolutely necessary? Thanks again.
If she is the only bird that looks sick at this stage,put her and him in for company to relieve the stress on her.She wont last long left in the aviary whilst medicating them.Medicate the aviary birds whilst they are in the hospital cage. Craig
Jenk

Craig52 wrote:
Jenk wrote:
Hi Craig,

If she is the only bird that looks sick at this stage,put her and him in for company to relieve the stress on her.She wont last long left in the aviary whilst medicating them.Medicate the aviary birds whilst they are in the hospital cage. Craig
I wormed them a couple of weeks back so shouldn't need to do that again...or would it not hurt to worm again? I used wormout gel.
Jenk
Craig52

I am no expert Jenk,just treat the stars and leave the others alone.There could be other factors affecting her like age and cold weather. Cheers Craig

Return to “Finch Health”