Advice needed

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
meepmeeps

Hi
I am writing to ask for some advice on a male gouldian finch because something is wrong with him and I have no idea what it may be. Of course I am not asking for a diagnosis because It can not be done ever the internet but I was hoping you might be able to narrow down what could posibly be wrong. First i will explain his symptoms and then I will explain treatments I have used previously.
He is about 3 - 4 years old and has been fine up until the last 5 months until his molt began. He has had a long drawn out molt which still hasn't quite finnished yet. He always sits hunched over with a depressed appearence. He is often found to be excessively beak wiping with some kind of staining around the beginning of the beak (not the tip end). There appears to be some kind of respitory problems because he seems to nod his head back and forth while breathing. I notice him swollowing quite frequently. Too often he is seen to be leaning forward as though he is trying to peck at his feet while lifting one of his wings slightly but he doesnt actually peck anything. He has the typical hunched appearence. He eats normally and drinks maybe a little more often than usual. I could send a short video is required.
His claws have been trimmed and his beak too. I have treated him for ASM using Ivermectin spot on, I tried moxidectin oral. Ive given him probiotics, a very good diet rich is protien, calcium, vitamins and all the minerals they need. His feet have also been treatedwith scaly cream as a precaution.
I used Virkon-S in his drinking water at the correct diluted rates for 6 days then a course of probiotics for a further 5 days as advised by some professional racing pigeon keepers. Nothing seems to work but something is clearly wrong with the little guy. We dont have any avian vets for over 60 miles where I live so I find myself asking for your help.

I did forget to mention that quite often you will hear him sing quietly to himself. I have him housed in a 5ft long bu 1.5ft high cage with a placid hen to keep him company. There is plenty of meat around his breast bone but he is not very active. he doesnt sit with head tucked in at all, he just sits and gazes forward most of the time looking rather depressed. Lastly his molt hasnt quite finnished and it seems to be a long drawn out molt so I am not sure if this is part of the problem?. I was wondering if it maybe a fungal infection of some kind.

I would be grateful for any tips or advice you may have to offer because I am all out of idea's now.

Thank you for your time.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have treated for ASM...I would seperate into a hospital cage....get stool sample to vet.... hopefully a vet will help you out soon...do finches get Trichomonas??
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
meepmeeps

finches can get pretty much anything but what ever he has he seems to be the only birdthat has it and he has been housed with a lot of birds for a long time. the hen he is with shows no signs of having anything wrong and she has been housed with him for months
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is his access to sunlight/vitamin d like?
LML
LML
meepmeeps

when ever i put him outside in the sun he moves into the shade. it is summer here and very hot at times so im guessing it maybe a little too hot for him. tomorrow i will take a short video of him and will post a link to it.

Return to “Finch Health”