Scaley mite??

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Denozo

Hi everyone.
I noticed my female crimson finch was getting some discolouration around her beak, however at the time she had just lost a clutch of 10 day old young to a cold snap, so I believed it to be food.
Today It has increased in area. I have attached a photo. It came off with some tweezers quite easily.
Should I treat with vegetable oil or wait and see if it comes back. I have removed her and her mate to a quarantine cage inside.
She has no other symptoms, still eats, drinks and has a normal stance.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Hi Denozo,you might be right about it looking like food and have removed it,if was scaley mite,removing the crust would most likely produce blood as the mites borrow into the bill.Imo,just keep an eye on it and see if it returns now that she is not feeding which is a shame. Craig
gomer

I had a crimson finch with a simular looking thing. It was not noticed when purchased,the bird was in quarantine as it was a new acquisition.Over time it was getting worse.I had treated it with both baycox and moxi as a new arrival even wiping moxi on the effected area .The bird was never well ,I had to go away for a few weeks and on my return it had perished. I think it may have been some sort of fungal infection or a protozoal disease such as canker ???
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Denozo

Thanks for the replies. Would it be worth me running Ronivet-S for a week then.
I believe this is what many budgie breeders use to treat canker.
There isn't any noticable odour coming from the hen.
Myzomela

It is unlikely to be canker because it is on top of the beak. I don't think that Ronivet is going to help you. If you have some moxidectin or ivermectin then it might be worth trying a drop weekly for the next 2 weeks but if the crust comes back then it won't be scaly mite that's the cause but possibly a bacterial or fungal skin infection as Craig has suggested.
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Finch Health”