HELP! Egg bound female

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Niki_K

One of my lovely ladies was not looking so flash yesterday (puffed up with not so clean vent), so I gave her some spark and popped her on a heat mat in a separate cage. I gave her seed (inc green seed), water, and baby bird formula (I figured it couldn't hurt and the probiotics might help). This morning, I found her asleep with half an egg sticking out. I gave her some more spark and baby formula, have smothered her cloaca and egg with coconut oil (as seen in pic) and put her onto a fresh heat mat. Is there anything else I can do? She's still very perky and is moving around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Poor little thing has a prolapse. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Only other thing could be some calcium suplement. Wont help with this egg. But may help her overall health.
And keep her away from hubby and the temptation to breed for a couple of months till she is (hopefully) fully recovered.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have found in nearly all cases heat (32c) and some liquid calcium does the trick.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Niki_K

I haven't given her calcium as another breeder said it can make things worse :( might nip out and get some though as I think she'll die otherwise.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Niki_K wrote:I haven't given her calcium as another breeder said it can make things worse :( might nip out and get some though as I think she'll die otherwise.
Have done the unthinkable once (bird survived though) as bird was on its last legs laying on its side egg prtruding like yours.....I pinholed the egg and deflated it...24 hrs later the bird was flying around as nothing was wrong... :shock:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Niki_K

vettepilot_6 wrote:
Niki_K wrote:I haven't given her calcium as another breeder said it can make things worse :( might nip out and get some though as I think she'll die otherwise.
Have done the unthinkable once (bird survived though) as bird was on its last legs laying on its side egg prtruding like yours.....I pinholed the egg and deflated it...24 hrs later the bird was flying around as nothing was wrong... :shock:
I was actually wondering about breaking the egg and if that would do more harm than good. Sadly, I had to go out today, and when I got home, the little girl had died.
SamDavis

Sorry to hear that Niki.
(FYI - some of your posts have resulted in renewed interest in wild-type zebs. I've had a few comments from AFF observers).
Niki_K

SamDavis wrote:Sorry to hear that Niki.
(FYI - some of your posts have resulted in renewed interest in wild-type zebs. I've had a few comments from AFF observers).

Is that right? That's a good thing- the humble wild-type zeb making a comeback :)
Myzomela

Sorry that your little zebbie didn't make it Niki.

For future reference I would make the following suggestions if presented with a similar situation:
1) Place the bird in a heated environment at 28-30 degrees. Make sure there is a small bowl of water to maintain some humidity
2) Give the bird some oral calcium. This isn't so much to harden the eggshell (it's too late for that) but it does help the muscles of the uterus and body to contract and help push the egg out. Egg bound birds often suffer from muscle fatigue and the calcium can help
3) Give the bird some electrolyte solution such as Spark which you did use. This helps to a)treat the dehydration and shock that most of these birds are suffering from and b) assists the exhausted muscles to contract and hopefully expel the egg.
4) If the egg is sticking out or prolapsed then lubricating the prolapsed tissue with saline or even warm water can help free it from the egg. Do NOT steam the vent or apply oils. Steaming the vent is dangerous and oils rarely help but more often soil the plumage and cause other problems. Instead use a water-soluble lubricating jelly (eg KY) to keep the area moist in between saline washes.
5) If the uterus is truly stuck to the egg then this is a veterinary emergency. Keep it moist until you get to the vet. Alternatively, collapsing the egg can help as it did in this case but be aware that sharp edges can damage the uterus and vent and infections can easily set in.
6) If the uterus has prolapsed then the risk of infection is high and all such birds should be placed on antibiotics.
7) It is not a good idea to return a recovered bird straight to the aviary. Instead it is better to rest such birds for at least a month and preferably longer and reassess their diet, management etc.

Overall you did a very good job. Unfortunately, luck wasn't on your side on this occasion. hopefully you won't have any more incidents like this to deal with.

Cheers

Myzo
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Niki_K

Myzomela wrote:Sorry that your little zebbie didn't make it Niki.

For future reference I would make the following suggestions if presented with a similar situation:
1) Place the bird in a heated environment at 28-30 degrees. Make sure there is a small bowl of water to maintain some humidity
2) Give the bird some oral calcium. This isn't so much to harden the eggshell (it's too late for that) but it does help the muscles of the uterus and body to contract and help push the egg out. Egg bound birds often suffer from muscle fatigue and the calcium can help
3) Give the bird some electrolyte solution such as Spark which you did use. This helps to a)treat the dehydration and shock that most of these birds are suffering from and b) assists the exhausted muscles to contract and hopefully expel the egg.
4) If the egg is sticking out or prolapsed then lubricating the prolapsed tissue with saline or even warm water can help free it from the egg. Do NOT steam the vent or apply oils. Steaming the vent is dangerous and oils rarely help but more often soil the plumage and cause other problems. Instead use a water-soluble lubricating jelly (eg KY) to keep the area moist in between saline washes.
5) If the uterus is truly stuck to the egg then this is a veterinary emergency. Keep it moist until you get to the vet. Alternatively, collapsing the egg can help as it did in this case but be aware that sharp edges can damage the uterus and vent and infections can easily set in.
6) If the uterus has prolapsed then the risk of infection is high and all such birds should be placed on antibiotics.
7) It is not a good idea to return a recovered bird straight to the aviary. Instead it is better to rest such birds for at least a month and preferably longer and reassess their diet, management etc.

Overall you did a very good job. Unfortunately, luck wasn't on your side on this occasion. hopefully you won't have any more incidents like this to deal with.

Cheers

Myzo
Thanks Myzo- I think she had already been struggling for a while, as that was how I found her at 8am :( Good to know about not using oil- I had hoped it might help given its antibacterial properties, and that it soaks into skin very quickly, but I'll stick to saline next time. Thanks again- I'll save this post 'in case of'!

Return to “Finch Health”