Sick Painted finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
benjjs08

I have a sick male painted that sits fluffed up on the ground, while the hen flys around quite happily. So I know its not just to do with the cooler weather. He sometimes does a head flicking thing, it looks like he is trying to clear his throat or regurgitate, but it’s not constant.
I went in to try and catch him by hand as I thought it would be quite easy, but he quickly come to life and was too quick to catch. I was thinking maybe he had air sac mite (mild case??) and to catch him out and put him in a hospital cage for a bit. Not sure what medicine to try first. Does anybody have any thoughts on initial treatment?
Craig52

benjjs08 wrote:I have a sick male painted that sits fluffed up on the ground, while the hen flys around quite happily. So I know its not just to do with the cooler weather. He sometimes does a head flicking thing, it looks like he is trying to clear his throat or regurgitate, but it’s not constant.
I went in to try and catch him by hand as I thought it would be quite easy, but he quickly come to life and was too quick to catch. I was thinking maybe he had air sac mite (mild case??) and to catch him out and put him in a hospital cage for a bit. Not sure what medicine to try first. Does anybody have any thoughts on initial treatment?
Hi Ben,it doesn't sound like airsac mite to me but it could be worms or candida(fungal)infection.Treat for both but separately but treat the fungal disease first,not sure what to use but someone on here will know or search the forum under fungal diseases. Craig
benjjs08

Thanks Craig, will look into the fungus treatment options, cheers
Ben
Lachlan1

Stargazing?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would try Ivomec as I believe it deals with airsac mite and worms. So that is 2 possiblilties dealt with in one blow. Treat avairy to be safe, not just the bird.
LML
LML
benjjs08

Ok thanks

Return to “Finch Health”