Calendar of Aviary Events.......help needed

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Diane

I have been reading Mike Fidler's Gouldian Life Cycle Calendar article.

I like the way it was set out in monthly form, made it so easy to know what to do and when.
I was wanting to use this Life Cycle Calendar as a guide and incorporate a preventative/maintenance programme within it for ASM, worming and avairy spraying. (and anything else I dont know about :) )

Being new to keeping/breeding birds I have read that much I dont know what to do for the best

What do you guys use, how often/when?
Last edited by Diane on 29 May 2009, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
gomer

Sorry havent,but would be interesting to hear more.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
GregH

I reckon it works but it's not for mixed collections. I tried it and the only birds to moult after the "post breeding Austerity" were the Gouldians and Javas (not effect on Stars, Cut-throsts, Hecks, Double bars, Zebs, munias - javan, spice & chestnut). Perhaps with some effort you could synchronise the flock but it's difficult as during the Austerity period to induce moult the stars were feeding young and bith teh double barsd and cut-throats went down to nest. In retrospect I know I should have separated teh sexes and removed all nests but I don't have enough aviaries to do that - Mike does.

Here's an interesting Diagram I produced for research on Finchme.com looking at the gouldian cycle and mapping it against Aboriginal seasons in northern Australia.
wildgouldiancycle.jpg
I hope it's useful to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane

Thanks Greg...sure Ive seen your life cycle circle somewhere before, probably as you said on the Finchme site.

What Im looking for is dealing with and preventing ASM, worms, etc. What do you all use when and how often

From other topics I gather that apple cider vinegar is used by some and iodine once a month
Diane
GregH

Hi Deb. I'm a lazy keeper so I can't speak from experiance just common sense. Apple cider vinegar lowers the pH to a point where the growth of megabacteria are inhibited and if thais has been a problem for you I'd be using it all the time. I believe that birds can handle a few worms and that as a routine measure that worming doen't have to be done more than quarterly with one treatment timed during the moult as this tends to be more stressful that breeding for my birds. I only treat ASM when it's symptomatic but anythig new gets treated and if it's in an aviary then everything gets treated.

I've heard that iodine is needed for sucessful breeding so your breeding season is going to be the time to target administration. I can't get the blocks here in the Philippines so I rely on the content in Fertivit for 2 days a week, however I'm not convinced it works.
Diane

Thanks Greg
Your regime gives me some structure on what to give the birds and when.
GregH wrote:I've heard that iodine is needed for sucessful breeding so your breeding season is going to be the time to target administration. I can't get the blocks here in the Philippines so I rely on the content in Fertivit for 2 days a week, however I'm not convinced it works.
I dont think the blocks work either mainly because they dont seem to eat it. Ive had a block in the aviary for 3 weeks now, never seen any bird peck at it and it looks as good as it did when it was in the packet. My vote goes for the "dilute in water"
Diane

Return to “Finch Health”