Sick or molting ?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
TailFeathers

Hell there,

I'm from USA. We are currently in the winter months and I just picked up my first pair of zebra finches. One of them seems to have these tired, sleepy eyes. He goes into a really slow eye blink holds it and lets go. He is also missing a few feathers down to the skin in part of his back near his tail and feathers coming out from his back.

His wings appreciate also laying low.

What to do?

P.S. I took him knowing well aware that he may be sick to save him from the pet shop I purchased it from. And I can't upload photos by they're too big. Sorry.
Redwing

Certainly sounds very unwell. I'd separate him in case he's infectious in a hospital box with warmth, spark and some inviting food placed in easy reach until you get some further advice or decide what you want to do with him as far as diagnosis and treatment. Is it a male or female as eggbound hens can present as you're describing (as can a lot of other conditions).
Craig52

Redwing wrote:Certainly sounds very unwell. I'd separate him in case he's infectious in a hospital box with warmth, spark and some inviting food placed in easy reach until you get some further advice or decide what you want to do with him as far as diagnosis and treatment. Is it a male or female as eggbound hens can present as you're describing (as can a lot of other conditions).
As above,and you need to resize your pics to 640 x 380 to upload them to the Forum. Craig
TailFeathers

Redwing wrote:Certainly sounds very unwell. I'd separate him in case he's infectious in a hospital box with warmth, spark and some inviting food placed in easy reach until you get some further advice or decide what you want to do with him as far as diagnosis and treatment. Is it a male or female as eggbound hens can present as you're describing (as can a lot of other conditions).
It's a male.

I don't know if I can resize on an iPad i have to figure something out.
Diane

If you are having trouble resizing send your photos to the forum email [email protected] and I will resize and load them under your name so all you have to do is add your own wording.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
TailFeathers

Diane wrote:If you are having trouble resizing send your photos to the forum email [email protected] and I will resize and load them under your name so all you have to do is add your own wording.
It's been done.

Thank you
TailFeathers

IMG_0769 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0763 (Custom).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't see anything wrong with the cock (bird with orange cheek patches) that can't be explained by a feather pick or two in a crowded pet shop cage. The hen is sitting a little odd, but again could just be nerves at having a strange device (phone/camera) poked at her.
LML
LML
TailFeathers

finchbreeder wrote:Can't see anything wrong with the cock (bird with orange cheek patches) that can't be explained by a feather pick or two in a crowded pet shop cage. The hen is sitting a little odd, but again could just be nerves at having a strange device (phone/camera) poked at her.
LML

Ok. I'll try to keep an eye on him. I was a little worried bc his wings are hanging low, a lot lower than the hen. And he gets puffy a lot more than her.

If it's nothing big like feather plucking, then what should I do to get his health back up beside providing a plumage tonic?

Thanks
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use the old fashioned natural methods mostly, frest green seeding grasses/weeds. But "Spark" don;t know if you have it over there, is a good general pick me up that many find reliable.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”