How can a broken wing by fixed ?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Cacoonkitty

Hi Everyone, The other day one of my finches got her wing caught in between the bars of her big patio Aviary, I had a trio in this cage for breeding reasons, she was startled by something outside and flew around a bit and one if her wings went through the bars, immediately I secured her to prevent any movement and I gently slid her wing through the bars, it was not at a strange angle and didn't seem to have suffered any obvious damage and this all happened in less that a minute. I moved her to a smaller enclosure so I could monitor her as she was a bit flustered so wanted her to keep calm. I noticed that although she seemed fine in herself, eating and drinking and moving about with out any signs of stress, she was not able to fly ! Her left wing is tucked normally behind her, and her right wing although it is folded is slightly drooped and doesn't seem as close lying as her other... I have kept her in the smaller enclosure to prevent her wanting to fly around and I want her to keep calm, I have a Avian vet I can take her to but wondered what a broken wing looked like !! Or how a bird may act if they had one...I know it's a long call to ask , of course if she has not recovered by Friday I will be taking her to my vet ( although he is over am hours drive away from us near Sydney) Dr Robert Marshal

Any advice would be welcome
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It may be badly sprained and sore. With a bit of luck. Keep her in the smaller cage and let her take it easy for a few days. Good luck.
LML
LML
Spitfire

I have found over the years that Finchs with broken wings will heal after a long time left in a small cage, where the bird does not have the option of flight.
the wing will knit and I have seen birds fly again. there are certain finchs that are suseptable to dislocating their wings, such as Green Singers, Oriental Green finchs and Red Faced Parrot finch.
Good Luck with your bird.
garyh

I have a bird at the moment that was attacked by a Currawong,its wing was drooping down and seemed broken,i put it in a small cage to let it settle down,at the time it couldn't fly but after about 2 weeks it was get around quite well,now after about 6 weeks the wing is still drooping down but the gouldian fly's about the aviary very well ,hope this helps garyh
Cacoonkitty

Well it is day 5 and she is in a small cage, inside in a quiet area of the house,but near a window so she can still see outside, I have green & grain seed for her, a small dish of E powder ( Dr Robert Marshal vet mineral product) a small bowl of fresh water and a small dish of a vitamin and protien supplement again ( Dr Marshal) she is a diamond fire tail finch hen and she seems perfectly fine in her character, jumping about and eating and she is alert ( I have not put more that one low Pearce in her cage to prevent her from using to much energy or wanting to fly around,so far she is just hopping about and has not tried to fly since the accident ,her wing is still what I class as drooping, but is not hanging. I do not want to touch her wing to look as think it may possibly be sore to touch andI don't want to stress her. I've noticed her vent area is a tiny little bit dirty...not terribly..but not like my other birds...I don't know if this because she can only hop about though and of course cannot have a bird bath like she would normaly :-( I hope she is ok
Redwing

That seems a logical explanation for the dirty vent, particularly if she seems well. Guess all you can do is watch her.She may also be finding it more difficult to groom her vent area if you watch how they preen.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As all seems well. Possibly move her to a slightly bigger cage with a slightly higher perch and see her reaction?
LML
LML
Craig52

Firstly sorry to hear about your bird getting its wing caught in the bars of your cage,these cages are not recommended for use for finches for that very reason and for finches hanging themselves between the vertical bars.
Is it possible to clad your cage with light gauge weldmesh to prevent these accidents from happening as they will continue imo. Craig
Cacoonkitty

Hi Craig, yes I have this mesh on my bigger cages / aviarys but this happend during a move, she still seems fine in herself, I have been advised by Dr Marshal I should try to keep her in her cage for another week as it may be a ligament or muscle strain...he said to continue to give her sups and to add spark and a calcium to her water to aid in healing and stress, in a week if she is still not good I will take her to see him, fingers crossed she will be ok...her wing is still slightly droopy but not quite so prominent now...I hope all will be ok and she can return to her little mate who is missing her xx ( they have yet to be in together but he has built a nest ready l.o.l ...he might be disappointed as I think I will hold off introducing them until I am sure she is fully recovered and ok :-)
Craig52

That's good news for her but diamonds build a roosting nest and his nest is probably just that so if she is starting to look good just put them together as companionship in the nest will help her with less stress. Craig

Return to “Finch Health”