Plucked Fledging..........

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
BluJay

Or it least I believe it has been. I have been excited about this pair of canaries having chicks. This pair is out of a well known breeder whom passed away. I forget his name but I recall being told he was like 90. It was important to me to take the very best care of this gentlemans birds. As I'm sure that is what he wanted for his birds. Last week this pairs chicks fledged. This morning I found one looking like this:
And it did look just like its nest mate in this pic:
I sat in a chair very quietly and the parents are still feeding it well. I picked it up. Put back in nest, and parents fed it there. The chick likes to be with the others, so it won't stay in the nest. Nor can it get back in nest when the others are there. Anyone have any ideas of what might be happening? Regards.
Brooksy

Parents are plucking the feathers off it for nesting material.
BluJay

Hi Broosky, do you feel I should take the chick away and put in hospital cage. Or leave well enough alone? I did put a small piece of heson cloth in with them. Also as I was feeding everyone, I did see the chick drinking water. Any advice appreciated. Kind Regards.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As long as junior is otherwise well, if they were mine I would leave with parents. But add extra nesting material and keep a close eye on them. Good luck, I know you will do your best for this little one.
LML
LML
Canary

I believe that the parents would be plucking the chick for material for a new nest.

I have a few each year that do this, and it is usually the hen.

I have wire slides that I can put in so that the mother and father can continue feeding the chicks, until I see that they are feeding themselves. If you take them away too early the chicks may not survive. The mother may continue to try and pluck the chick, but it will not be so bad, and the feathers will grow back in a few weeks.
BluJay

Thank you each and everyone of you for your help and advice. I went out this morning expecting the worst, but little and behold the little bugger is still alive, and had very full crop. The hen picked that piece of burlap/Hassan cloth to shreds, and rebuilt a beautiful nest. While I may not always say it or show it, but I appreciate each and everyone of you emensely. How could I not. What you share, makes me question what I do and to learn to improve. Again, thank you. Kindest Regards.

Return to “Finch Health”