Blood on finch !!!!! :-(

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Cacoonkitty

Came home from work today to find one of my Gouldians sitting up on his Pearch, he didn't come down when I went in to top up their seeds, which was very unusual, so I looked closer as I didt like the way he was positioned, just to see that he had a fair bit of dried blood down the front of his chest !!!! :-(

After ten minutes of trying to catch him ( as calmly as possible because he could still fly ) , I held him and looked...without moving his wings or legs around just incase of trauma that may hurt him, A little blood seemed to be on the right hand side of his bill near the crook of his mouth where the beak meets the feathers but not inside his mouth as he was biting me....there was no obvious break to his bill but there was a little wet blood there but not running or dripping...and also on his right hand side of his chest...but again there was no obvious cut..I didn't want to prod or poke the little bird ,so gave him some electrolytes via a few drops to his bill and Have placed him in a dark smaller bird box inside the house with some water and soft foods available for him , the bleeding had stopped from what I could see.

I have absolutely no idea what has caused this ! He is housed outside in a large patio aviary, all birds are male..no females to cause aggression... he has 3 other Gouldians, 2 parrot finch , 2 star finch, 2 orange breasts, 2 Tri coloured parrot finch, 1x Tri coloured nun , 2 Javas and 1x singe grenadeir weaver cock. I have not seen any obvious aggression towards each other, Im baffled....what should I do ?! It's to late for the vet now...:-/ if he makes it until tommorow should I just wait it out and keep a close eye on him...he does seem a bit shaken.
iaos

Finches are often fairly resilient. If he was still alive when you found him, thats a good start. I would just pop him in a hospital cage for a few days.

Cheers Ian
Cacoonkitty

He is now just fine....I have had to cover the aivary with special mesh...I found it was a bucher bird...I have noticed a few ha ting around over the last few weeks since this happend...my little Gouldian was lucky !!! Must have just happend when I came home...but with luck I put him in a hospital cage as advised and a week later onceI was shure he had recovered from shock ilex him go in ten aivary again. Now he is as good as before :-)

Beware bucher birds...pretty song...but crafty as hell at catching finches !

Return to “Finch Health”