At a loss - fluffed, sleepy Gouldian - need help

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Keithbarrett

I recently purchased a male Gouldian who looked fine.(Note I didn't look him over - new to the game and a lesson learned) When I got him home, he just didn't look as active or perky as I would have expected. I've wormed him twice and have given him a course of sulfur medication. He has a prominent chest bone but eats like a horse and drinks well. His droppings look fine(formed black and liquid white - no blood or mucus) although there was a problem with soiled feathers around his vent. I cleaned these and plucked the feathers close to his vent. His eyes are clear, there appears to be no breathing problems. I've isolated him from the rest of the birds and he tends to spend the day sleeping with his head under his wing. When he flies, he doesn't have the speed or strength that I see in my other Gouldians. Is there anyone out there who can guide me- I'm new to this game and would like to learn from this, and help this bird to recover. Thanks
Myzomela

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum.

Sometimes, sick birds may appear to be eating but may just be playing with their food. If they are eating you should see plenty of seed husks in the seed dish.

Birds which eat a lot but are still thin are usually unable to digest their food properly. Sometimes you can see bits of undigested seed in the droppings.
There are several causes of this but the most common are yeast/fungal infections in the proventriculus or ventriculus (glandular and grinding stomachs). These may respond to a course of Nystatin or Mycostatin that you can get from the chemist (although they may give you an odd look when you tell them what you need it for!!). The dose is 1 drop 2-3 times daily direct to the beak for 7-10 days.

There is a specific yeast-like organism called Macrorhabdus ( previously Megabacteria) which requires a specific medication which can only be obtained from an avian vet.

The best way to know for sure what is causing the problem is to collect a faecal sample on some glad wrap and post it to an avian vet who will hopefully find the cause and tell you what treatment is best.

In the mean time if the bird is fluffed then provide it with heat e.g. via a heat lamp or incandescent light globe; adding some electrolytes to the water may also help e.g. Spark.

Good luck with him.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Keithbarrett

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give them a go. Cheers, Keith
Finnigan

Hi Keith how did you go with this bird? hope he pulled through for you.

Return to “Finch Health”