Avian pox

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
matcho

Redwing,

The bottom line is that mozzies are the major carriers. I have had painteds as mentioned in previous posts with mozzie bite, didn't go bad, went after a couple of weeks but looked uncomfortable for the bird. Just remember that not all mozzies carry the virus, they bite and cause discomfort to certain breeds especially canaries, which are susceptible to this particular virus hence the name "Canary Pox".. It is only if you have a bird that has the been infected with the virus or a mozzie that has had contact elsewhere that problems can occur.

In short, try and keep the mozzies away, no stagnant water etc, etc. Yet here I am looking at using mozzie wrigglers as live food. Go figure :crazy:

Ken.
Myzomela

Hi Redwing,

Sorry for coming in so late on this discussion.

I agree with previous comments i.e. no need to panic. You may in fact just have mozzie/insect bites and that is what you are seeing. If there are no lesions around the eyes/beak and no illness/mortality then it is unlikely to be poxvirus.

As Ken has said just try to discourage mozzies breeding by removing stagnant water and having a few mozzie zappers around and hopefully the numbers drop off as weather conditions change.

It may also be worth cleaning the wounds with betadine but if they have already been there for several days and aren't getting worse then just leave them alone.

Good luck. Hopefully you have no more problems. Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Myzo
Research; evaluate;observe;act
BluJay

Redwing wrote:A couple of years ago I had a couple of chicks affected by avian pox. They had secondary chest infections and were treated (on the advice of an avian vet) with antibiotics. All made a full recovery and went to homes as pets.
Yesterday I noticed one of my canaries with lesions on his toes with the same appearance. The other 2 canaries are showing no signs at present.This in itself is worrying enough, but to make matters worse I have put my male RFPF in with them to give my female a rest from breeding and am really concerned about what to do with him as far as reintroducing him back into my aviary with all my finches? Really need some advice please.
You could put your RFPF, in cage by himself until you take your birds to the vet. How did your vet visit go? Or did you go?
Redwing

Thanks Myzo, much reassured by your post. This has been a week when it has been impossible for me to get home early enough to catch up and get to a vet.
Have been carefully monitoring and the canary still only has the 2 lesions on his feet. He appears well as do the others who have been in contact with him. We are having hot humid weather conditions at the moment as is normal for this time of year,so turned on the mozzie zapper again. Usually only use it if I'm bug catching for treats for birds with chicks or we're sitting outside in the evening.
Would really like to get theRFPF back in the main aviary as soon as possible. It's now been nearly 7 weeks since his last lot of chicks fledged and he's been separated from the female for nearly 3 weeks. Do you think that's a long enough break for her? That's assuming he'll want to breed again straight away.
Thanks everyone else for your best wishes and support.
matcho

Redwing,

As I have said before, "I am no expert". From what you describe looks like plain old mozzie bites. No lesions around the face etc etc which are/is an indication of avian pox. Canarys are prone to being affected by mozzies, and their bites especially on the foot area. Crossing my fingers for you.

I would put the RFPF back in, but then again, that's just me.

Ken.
Myzomela

Hi Redwing

If the hen is looking in tip top shape and ready to go then yes I would put him back in. If you're not sure then wait a little longer.
I am always guided by the condition of the birds.
That is just my opinion.

Cheers & good luck.

Myzo
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Redwing

thanks Myzo, she's like a flea in a bottle! I'll put them back together on the weekend. Am sure the canaries will be grateful for a bit of peace and quiet too without the male.

Return to “Finch Health”