air sac mites only treat new birds?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
werty

Craig52 wrote:Well,i will say it.Don't take too much notice of Yanks,they know every thing about gouldians and how to breed them in enclosed rooms in cabinets where ASM will multiply in the enclosed conditions.
Arthur,you are right, it's when a bird is down in condition that ASM will attack the most and that also means their immune system is down also but the immune system does not fight ASM,but with the immune system down it allows ASM a better chance for them to multiply and spread to other birds.

Imo,don't worry about ASM until you see the symptoms,treat all birds in the aviary at this stage a couple of times over 2-3 weeks and spray your aviary out with a mite treatment at the same time.
Werty,believe what you want but AFF Australia is the home of gouldians and we don't need to pump medications in to our birds to keep them healthy unless absolutely necessary. Cheers Craig
Thanks Craig

I don't want to treat them for airsac mites every 3 months

I got this advice from wild bill

What I do want to try is breed gouldians without airsac mite treatments
KENTUCKY

I have never subscribed to the Idea that all Gouldians have ASM and that stressful situations
will bring these bludgers to the surface, molting and egg binding would have to be the most stressful times in a Gouldians Life,I cant see any evidence in my Aviaries of ASM in these times of stress,
I may well be off beam here and my way of thinking on this subject is outdated but, was I taught many years ago that ASM are introduced into ones flock from an outside source, dealers, pet shops etc, I still quarantine all my new arrivals and treat them with a broad spectrum antibiotic and for ASM, regardless if they show symptons or not, once treatment is complete and the birds are in good condition, only then will they be released into my aviaries, I will not quarantine birds that i have bought from breeders I know and trust. ASM are not only easely
gotten rid off with todays modern medicines, but permanently as well, which is a huge plus, in years gone by it was much more difficult just to control them, birds were lost because of the toxic nature of the medicine used
back then, we are well and truly blessed having access to these modern liquids and powders.

Return to “Finch Health”