Gouldian with "staggers"

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
BrettB

A week ago a 3 yo male Gouldian in a breeding cabinet was found on the floor of the cage (he was fine the day before). He seemed to have no coordination at all, fluttering about the floor when he tried to fly. There were no obvious injuries and while he was sitting quietly you would not have guessed anything was wrong.
I caught him up and placed him in a hospital cage, but he has got worse. Initially he was able to get onto the perch at times, but now he just sits in the corner on the floor. He drinks and eats, but I don't expect him to survive for long.
I appreciate that birds have random illness and often the cause is never determined.
My concern is that it may relate to a management problem or infection, that could put the other birds at risk.
Has anyone had anything similar ?

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
elferoz777

yes I lost one in a very similar manner the other day in one of my bigger aviaries.

Not sure of the cause but once the unco flying starts its pretty much over from there.

I decided to moxi the birds. It has been hot then cool then we then windy here all in a day most days and I think this is not helping the birds.

I normally avoid medicating but with wet weather like we have had I thought any help would be good help.

Hope you dont lose anymore.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Myzomela

Brett, the two most likely causes are either trauma to the head or on infection in the brain/central nervous system.
To be honest, if these sorts of birds don't respond to supportive care- heat & electrolytes & time then medication rarely helps.
You could try Baycox in case it is a coccidian parasite of the brain, or a sulpha-based antibiotic e.g. Sulpha 3 which may help.
I don't think that a transmissible cause is highly likely.

Good Luck

Cheers

Myzo
Research; evaluate;observe;act
BrettB

Thank you for the replies.
I am reassured that it is more likely to be a "one off" than the start of an epidemic.
No other birds have developed similar symptoms.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Finch Health”