Gouldian beak

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Davo2

I need some advice, I purchased a yellow head cock gouldian at the end of last year to put with one of my yellow headed hens. I noticed recently that the top beak of the cock bird has a section on the left hand side growing down and now I have noticed it seems to be growing fast. Should this cock bird be stopped from breeding to prevent chicks having same problem? Can I trim the the beak? Other then this the bird is in good health and has raised one clutch already but I can see it being an issue very soon

Cheers
Ron
Tiaris

You can trim it carefully with nail scissors or clippers. Often these overgrown beaks are caused by internal disorders in the bird - kidneys/liver commonly I think.
Davo2

Ok thanks, I will take him out of the breeding aviary so no bad genes get past on and trim his beak up. He can play around in the holding aviary for as long as he wants.
Tiaris

I don't know if it is anything to do with genetics.
Myzomela

It's not so much an issue of genetics as it is an issue of potential underlying health issues.

Where birds are hard to come by then I probably would use such a bird to breed with but given a choice I would not.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Davo2

It was a spontaneous purchase as I went to the pet shop to get seed and I seen him out the corner of my eye and took him home without having a close inspection. I put him in a holding cage for a few days then noticed that his Beak was slightly odd like the top section was a bit bigger and rounded. Was contemplating taking him back but he seemed to be in good health so kept him anyway. Live and learn :oops:

Return to “Finch Health”