Splayed leg gouldians

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Masterfincher

Hi all, I have had a couple of young gouldians - from different broods - with splayed legs, they came out of the nest like that. Does anyone know what causes this? I have had heaps of healthy ones, even out of the same brood. They still fly, just not as often and are awkward on landing.
Also, sort of related - but I'm not considering it cause they don't seem in pain - but what is the most humane way to euthanize finches if I ever have to?
Thanks again :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Different oppinions as to what causes this. Some say they are missing something in the diet. If the others are the dominant young and grab the most goodies this might be so. Some say smooth bottomed nests that the feet slip on. Again why some and not others, but can't hurt to put a bit more nesting material in.
LML
LML
werty

Masterfincher wrote:Hi all, I have had a couple of young gouldians - from different broods - with splayed legs, they came out of the nest like that. Does anyone know what causes this? I have had heaps of healthy ones, even out of the same brood. They still fly, just not as often and are awkward on landing.
Also, sort of related - but I'm not considering it cause they don't seem in pain - but what is the most humane way to euthanize finches if I ever have to?
Lack of calcium maybe?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldnt be breeding from those parents again...but thats just me :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

Masterfincher wrote:Hi all, I have had a couple of young gouldians - from different broods - with splayed legs, they came out of the nest like that. Does anyone know what causes this? I have had heaps of healthy ones, even out of the same brood. They still fly, just not as often and are awkward on landing.
Quickest is most humane. I either throw it onto a hard surface or just pull the head off.
Nye

Rickets can occur in young birds due to insufficient Vitamin D3, calcium .

Return to “Finch Health”