Scruffy female Gouldian

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
werty

The reason I ask how many pairs are there, is simple

Say he had 10 pairs, and only this hen is showing these symptoms than chances are his setup and diet are not the problem....because only the 1 female is sick

Now that I know that this bloke has only 1 female...because I asked the question

Could be something lacking in your setup or diet that has caused the female to look like this

I have just finished breeding 6 pairs myself

All females produced 3 clutches each, and raised on average 6 chicks per clutch

All 6 females are in perfect condition, they don't even look like they need to molt

What are you feeding them?

I don't feed mine soaked seed, mine get boiled egg everday, and they look fantastic
gomer

Getting off track here guys. some previous posts edited.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16145

5. Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other members, moderators or administration will not be tolerated.
Personal differences should be handled through email or PM and not through posts displayed to everyone. Any personal pm must be polite
and not insulting.

6. Stay on topic. Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion

23. All Forum posts are for general use and should not be directed to any particular forum member. For this private emails should be used.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Probably moulting. .but have you sprayed nestboxes with coopex? Could be those blood sucking mites that hide in dark corners?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
MattP

I sprayed her for lice and mites last weekend. She is still going and pretty active though still tugging at the feathers on her breast bone which almost completely naked and exposed. She's still very irritated constant plucking at the breast. I'm still waiting for the chicks to emerge which should be imminent. They nested in the grass of a potted plant not in a box. Once they are fending for themselves I might get her out into a hospital cage.
Craig52

MattP wrote:I sprayed her for lice and mites last weekend. She is still going and pretty active though still tugging at the feathers on her breast bone which almost completely naked and exposed. She's still very irritated constant plucking at the breast. I'm still waiting for the chicks to emerge which should be imminent. They nested in the grass of a potted plant not in a box. Once they are fending for themselves I might get her out into a hospital cage.
Sounds like she may be allergic to the grass or the plant itself, once the young emerge she might clear up herself so i wouldn't worry about her. Also, deter her from nesting there again or remove the pot plant as it's great hiding place for mites and other bugs imo. Craig
MattP

Thanks. I will remove the plant, the chicks should be out in the next few days.

Return to “Finch Health”