Canary with Cyst on head

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
SamDavis

My elderly mother has just sent me a pic of her Canary. Last time I saw it it appeared to have a blood feather that had been damaged - I thought it would heal. It now looks like this has developed into a substantial cyst. Any advice on treatment?
Lancing the cyst looks to be risky - looks red so I presume blood filled hence possible massive blood loss.
The bird remains healthy and spends most of its day free flying (and pooping) all over Mum's house.
Can I do anything or is it really a vet sort of an issue?
tweety2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Looks like someone spat a Jaffa at it & it stuck - nasty. I'm not game to suggest anything drastic (other than carefully cutting the feathers below the Jaffa to facilitate its release). It clearly has strong blood flow & is in a potentially delicate area. Is it a crested canary or is the head feathering distorted by the growth?
sdegiorgio

The photo is not real clear but from what you have described it sounds like an infected feather follicle (which has developed into a cyst). If that is the case, the treatment will need be surgery by the vet to remove the feather follicle.

In canaries, it can also be an inherited condition.

Good luck with it. I hope the littlle guy is better soon.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
SamDavis

Tiaris wrote:Looks like someone spat a Jaffa at it & it stuck - nasty. I'm not game to suggest anything drastic (other than carefully cutting the feathers below the Jaffa to facilitate its release). It clearly has strong blood flow & is in a potentially delicate area. Is it a crested canary or is the head feathering distorted by the growth?
Not crested. As you note Graham, could be major blood loss if lanced.
Hoping myzo will chirp in soon....
SamDavis

sdegiorgio wrote:The photo is not real clear but from what you have described it sounds like an infected feather follicle (which has developed into a cyst). If that is the case, the treatment will need be surgery by the vet to remove the feather follicle.

In canaries, it can also be an inherited condition.

Good luck with it. I hope the littlle guy is better soon.
Yes. I've just done some Google research. Seems ingrown feathers are not uncommon in Canaries - and as you say inherited.

Return to “Finch Health”