Help with a baby gouldian

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
mezcalbean

Hi

2 gouldians had 5 babies unfortunately the perth hot weather took 4. I found the 5th on the floor of the aviary and it was still alive. About a week ago it was outside on the floor so i have spent a week or so putting in back into the box. It doesn't want to go back.

What should i do? It cant fly very well only a metre off the ground.

The back feathers are not developed is this right (top part of bird feathers looking down)

Can mice eat the bird?

A bit lost as never been in this situation

Thanks

Philippe
E Orix

leave it out as once they have experienced life out side they are hard to get back.
If the weather is warm it should be fine.
I have no info on Mice eating live feathered birds
I think most breeders have experienced young bailing out of the nest under done due to high temp.
Last week we had a 45c day and I guess 15+ young came out early and spent time on the floor, I just left them alone
and I think all survived. There are a couple still on the ground but they will get up.
BrettB

Hi Phillipe,

Given that it has been out for almost a week and survived, it will probably be ok.
I would put some brush or perches down low so that it can get off the ground at night.
Weather in Perth is going to be much nicer this week :P
But no cold nights this time of year.

Do you have mice, that can cause young to bail early as well.
Feather loss can be many things, a photo might help

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
mezcalbean

Thanks Brett,

Yes i do have mice the position of the boxes mice can not get in there... well those ones!

Its flying quite well today i wikl take a photo of it soon and thatnsk for your reply

Regards

Philippe
mezcalbean

The four babies all perished on the aviary floor. They must have been out of the nest for a few hours but the temp in perth was 42 degrees. This little one does not want to get back in his box :whoa:
E Orix

Just a guess but is your aviary just metal walls without insulation if so with sun beating down on it and the ambient temp
at 42c it would be close to 50c. The chicks that died would have most likely been virtually dead from dehydration before
getting out of the nest box.
When young actually get out of a nest box too early either by being scared by inspection or other they are very reluctant
to stay when put back. If you do push one back in place a handkerchief into the opening and leave it for half an hour then
quietly remove it you can have success that way.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I find that I can get them back in on the 1st or 2nd day they jump, by holding my hand over the hole for a while, but after that putting them back is a lost cause. Some low bush and perching works for most young that jump early. Being in a hot spot myself I would recommend auto watering if you can install it. And a shade sail over the avairy. For mouseproofing do you have arcitraves down the sides of your doors so the gap is too narrow for the mice to walk in? Is the skirt round the bottom of your avairy dug 600/700mm into the ground, and a similar distance up the walls? This is the ideal. But no I do not have all of these measures yet, have been slowly implementing them over time, and now have most.
LML
LML
jonno0383

My solution for chicks leaving early is a white bucket lined with nesting material hanging in the shelter. It gets the chicks off the ground and the parents can still get in and out to feed them freely.
mezcalbean

Hi thanks for all the reply's !!

Some really good tips the baby bird is getting stronger, but I have had 3 adult deaths over the past 4 weeks and haven't had any deaths for a year or so !!

Have installed auto watering which has helped but the tin roof and the wooden nest so close to the roof was too hot .

Good tip E Orix

finchbreeder - not mouse proofing aviary siting on slabs the aviary wire is too big as I saw a mouse just run in to the cage from the outside... I am waiting to buy a house so we can build a proper aviary with proper wire - unfortunately I was assured when I bought the aviary the size of the mesh was mouse proof.

I have attached a photo - the feathers are covering its back slowly but head feathers seem to be a bit sparse.

Thanks

Philippe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matcho

Considering it has got through 9 days or so I would say he/she is one tough little cookie. Looks like it has good feather covering on the breast and body. Fingers crossed for you, it obviously has some support in the aviary, should wean in the next couple of weeks.
Good luck. Looks like a keeper!

Ken.

Return to “Finch Health”