Help with a baby gouldian

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
matcho

Considering it has got through 9 days or so I would say he/she is one tough little cookie. Looks like it has good feather covering on the breast and body. Fingers crossed for you, it obviously has some support in the aviary, should wean in the next couple of weeks.
Good luck. Looks like a keeper!

Ken.
mezcalbean

Thanks Ken,

Tough little cookie, waiting for it to start eating then should take off been a bit hot today not chirping as much - I have another bird who must have epilepsy as it hits the ground and cant fly for a few moments then takes off again. I hear a thump and its on its back. :chicken:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pleased to see that the youngun is doing well. That wire is the right size to keep rats out but not mice. Try making a shade cloth awning. Get shade cloth and put on front of avairy, have 2 poles to lift it up like a verandah out in front of the avairy. So 2 corners fastened to avairy and 2 fastened to poles.
LML
LML
mezcalbean

finchbreeder wrote:Pleased to see that the youngun is doing well. That wire is the right size to keep rats out but not mice. Try making a shade cloth awning. Get shade cloth and put on front of avairy, have 2 poles to lift it up like a verandah out in front of the avairy. So 2 corners fastened to avairy and 2 fastened to poles.
LML
That's a great idea, what could I do for the door area same principle ? How high should I go with the shade cloth?

Thanks

Philippe
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Several ways of doing it. My hubby fastened poles to the corners of the avairy that stuck up about 45cms above the avairy and fixed a 3mtr triangular shade sale to the poles. Or you can use the wire joiners with the special pliers and fasten to the wire at the top corners and cut the piece of shade cloth so it is the same size as the side of the avairy, that way it can be down and tied to the bottom with string or up with poles that you push into the ground. My mother did it the 2nd way.
LML
LML
mezcalbean

finchbreeder wrote:Several ways of doing it. My hubby fastened poles to the corners of the avairy that stuck up about 45cms above the avairy and fixed a 3mtr triangular shade sale to the poles. Or you can use the wire joiners with the special pliers and fasten to the wire at the top corners and cut the piece of shade cloth so it is the same size as the side of the avairy, that way it can be down and tied to the bottom with string or up with poles that you push into the ground. My mother did it the 2nd way.
LML

Thank you for the reply back - I will try this !!
Adam81

Some claim you are never truly mouse proof until you're running 6mm mesh all round. I'd tend to agree.
Gouldians and Waxbills

Return to “Finch Health”