Ivermectin dosage

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
paul1966

Hi all, would you agree that 2ml per litre of ivermectin is a correct dosage . And once a day for 2 weeks. I have been using moxidection before, but now I have ivermectin which I haven't used in years......for gouldian finches..........
gomer

Hi Paul, I have never used it in water but it does not sound correct. While waiting for a reply from someone who does know. Try using the Search function in the top right hand side of the page. I see there is quite a bit of info on using it in the search function.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
iva

Just an important info, Ivermectin needs to be mixed with water just before use as once diluted last only 5-7 hours.
I have a bottle of S76 from Hen Rescue NSW and rate is 2.5 ml per litre.
They recommend 2 days in water.
I follow instruction from the link bellow.

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_s76.php
paul1966

My birds don't have air sac. A few have a feather mite.well 2ml per litre has done no harm, they are drinking, and bathing in the water, there not fluffed up there still,chirpy flying,been normal..
gomer

Just remember Moxidectin has a very large margin for error where as ivermectin is less forgiving. I personally when the conditions are favorable double the recommended time with moxi. But that suits my climate here. Two weeks with any wormer sounds too long five days in normally the most with two days the norm.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
GregH

I don't think you'll get a dosage until you know what the initial concentration of the stock you are using is.
paul1966

Dosage . This ivermectin is from vets,it's not diluted . So pure pour on. In the past, 2 drops back of gouldians neck . Anymore 3 plus is fatal, as you learn by mistakes... A small cage with 8 gouldians, have had ivermectin in water for 2 days plus, 2 drops on the neck. There all fine. Now I will wait 2 weeks then see how the look......
paul1966

Just a note the ivermectin has an oily residue,when I mixed it in a plastic cup. I would be sure the birds would have drank some, as they would shake their head after a drink,,,like to say ,,,yuk....anyway that's why I treated some with a drop on the neck, with ivermectin.

Return to “Finch Health”