Sress?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
NOI7

It has happened now a couple of times with me. Within a week after I put new birds into the aivary, one or both of them die.
Could this be stress, and if so, what can be done to prevent this?
Let the dogs bark. The Lion is still the king
toothlessjaws

There are just so many potential factors to take into account, that there is no way anyone can answer that question without more (a lot) more information. Why don't you start by describing your situation and your aviary or better yet, upload some photos.
finchbird2015

Hi Andre agree with toothlessjaws more info needed for example how far have the birds traveled,what time did you release them,what type are birds are they and who were the housed with.When i get new birds i leave them in the carry box overnite so they can settle down and get used to there new surroundings.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with above..plus some finches are more prone to stress than others...what type also?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
branchez

Make sure you have open water bowls,some birds don't know how to use drinkers or drip bottles.
Jack
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This happens to us all occassionally. Sometimes it is the total contrast in aviary/housing. e.g. birds from a large planted avairy going into a smaller unplanted avairy. Or vice versa. The problem of releasing too late in the day for the birds to have located food, water and a safe roost is well documented, but still happens. Finches that have never seen a parrott being released into an avairy with parrotts and no or next to no bushing to hide in till they feel safe. Lots of things. The bird was over stressed with the whole relocation thing.
LML
LML
NOI7

It had happened to me twice lately.
I bought a pair of gouldians as well as a pair of red faced parrot finches in January. It was released within 30 minutes at about 11 o clock in the morning. Enough water and food. After 3 days the parrot finch passed on and 2 days later the gouldian. Both hens.
If it is stress, is thete anythong that can be done to prevent this?
Let the dogs bark. The Lion is still the king
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some people put spark into the water, it seems to work. What birds are already in the avairy? Are the birds you buy from a very different set up to yours?
LML
LML
Tiaris

When getting new birds I always put them into a cabinet for at least a week with the food, etc they will be later getting in the aviaries. I put them on spark water for the 1st few days & observe them at least a couple of times per day to see how healthy & active they are & what they are eating. If I can't get reliable recent medication history from the previous owner I will give a preventative drench & cocci treatment for a few days, then normal water for a few days. If they look in perfect health after that I then put them into an aviary. Any sign of illness, physical stress during this time needs to be promptly diagnosed/treated/remedied as soon as its noticed. Only release proven healthy stock into your aviaries.

Return to “Finch Health”