Sick Blue

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Davo2

I know it is a rare occurrence but I have a sick blue Gouldian :lol: it was not looking well so I gave it and it's aviary companions a treatment of moxi for fear of air sack mites. It seemed to pep up for a week or two then back to fluffed up and lots of sleeping. I put it in a hospital cage and after a week it seemed to be a picture of health so back to the aviary it went. Two weeks later it's right eye was weeping and back to being fluffed up and resting. Took it to the vet and it got put on a Psittavet. Spent two weeks in the hospital cage and bird was back to normal, when released into a holding aviary it was full of beans for another week until both eyes started to weep. She's a fighter but I think this time it's not good, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ron
alvin

Weeping eyes is the worst thing that can happen to the blue Gouldian, I would remove it as far as possible from all my birds, it doesn't seem to affect normal Gouldian's, though they can be carriers of the disease (my opinion). That bird can pass that disease to young in the nest and to other birds. For this reason I don't buy blues and splits from just anyone, I actually prefer to do my own out crossing. I try to breed at least one normal to a blue a season.
Finchy

I suspect this may be a case for long-term (4-6 weeks) of Doxycycline. After that...
- Do not expose the bird to others that may be carriers of the bug
- Keep it indoors, away from the challenges of the aviary environment

Far from ideal, I know. But it's the only way I know of to keep blues on the perch for the long haul ... other than this :silent: :boggle: : http://hippiunicorn.deviantart.com/art/ ... -425371578

(Sorry 8-) )
Davo2

Thanks, she is still alive, eating and drinking plenty but looks a bit rough around the Mellon, free to anyone who has the touch to bring it back to its former glory. :D

Cheers
Ron
garymc

A number of years ago when I had blues I had a bird exhibit similar symptoms.

My understanding was that the weeping eyes were actually a symtom of an underlying bacterial infection - not neccessarily an eye infection. With limited avicultural vetinarian availability in my area I decided to treat the bird with Baytril (Its what I had in the fridge at the time) for I think 7 days. This was via crop needle at the rate of approximately 1 drop morning and night. The bird recovered and never showed any sign of the infection again.

The only drawback is that Baytril is an S4 drug and so you would in all likelyhood need a vet script to procure it.
mr skeeter

a friend of mine who breads blue gouldians doesn't have any problems with his birds and r always looking very healthy. his name on the forum is tony tino I'm sure he could help?
elferoz777

One by one mine met their end the same way.

I wasn't interested in running a palliative care aviary so i moved on the remainder.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Finch Health”