Sick gouldians

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
D0NKEY

Hi, after some advice if possible.

Ive had a nest of split blues and blues fledge in a north facing aviary.

Since fledging we had some drastic weather changes from really hot one day to storms, cold and constant rain the next.

Two of the splits have fluffed up since and ive noticed wet vent and sneazing / wetness around nostrills. The young blue is a hardy little thing showing no signs of any issues.

Would you treat with baycox or tripple c ? And if baycox, how long should i treat them for?
$bill

6 years back I would have went for the Ronivet the other stuff might help or might not. These days they get the choice on the perch or .........floor! If I was trying to save them i'd have them in a hospital cage immediately. But in all honesty I don't like the chances.
If I were you I'd now look forward and use some preventive medicine for breeding blues.For starters get yourself a clear plastic café blind from Bunnings to drop down the front of the aviary and on cold wet windy days - keep it covered and at night too.
Cold wind and chills will drop the best of them......well maybe not all but it will give the blues a work out.
D0NKEY

Thanks Bill appreciate your response

Ive given them baycox 3ml/l for 3 days.

Lost one today. Others look ok.

Ive got plastic coming down apporx 1m away from the aviary as its an aviary within a wire covered veggie patch.

Ill transfer the plastic onto the aviary itself and hopefully it helps.
$bill

You may be lucky. But I'd say cover them in every night. If you don't get them early with a problem it is really hard to get them back on track.Next nest if you happen to strike the same problems - all the adult birds to the pet shop and try again with new stock next season from a good suppler.
Well that's what I'd do....and I might not wait till next year! There will probably be a lot more blues for sale next year but the big question will be ...are they any good?
Hope all goes well for you. :thumbup:
D0NKEY

Thanks Bill - appreciated mate

Return to “Finch Health”