Coccidiosis treatment

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Rob

What antibiotic is preferred for bacterial infection? Is that baycox med an antibiotic or just for coccidiosis?
It hasn't been humid in perth just raining a bit lately.
E Orix

I normally sit back and listen to those instant vets and wonder why all my birds aren't dead, infertile or just out of
condition.
I have sand on the floor, the roof is open and if I can believe those experts the native birds are infecting my birds
from above.
They must be full of worms and other nasties as they continually fossick on the aviary floor, in fact I throw seed
down there for them. My water dishes have a generous coating of green algae, but the water is very clean.
Having said that my medicine cabinet is extensive, it contains one little bottle of Scatt which is there should
a case of air sac mite appear with birds being housed in my bird room or some ones Canary has stopped whistling
and that is it .
I do breed a few birds each year and I am possibly ignorant to avian diseases but I am happy not to
administer drugs into my birds because someone extols that you must dose every 8 weeks or 12 weeks.
These recommendations are wrong, you must take into account on where you live, how heavily your aviary is stocked
think about all the conditions and read up on how parasites reproduce,
How many people worm their birds if they are housed in a dry bird room.
The information is there but common sense is needed in big doses.
At the moment my aviaries are awash, the water will drain away and the ground will eventually dry up yet I know my losses
will be no different than the middle of Summer.
If you really know what you are doing then dose your birds, if you are not sure don't until you know how or get someone
who knows how.
Finally no one has produced a drug that only kills bad bugs they can also kill those that the bird needs to survive and possibly breed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finally no one has produced a drug that only kills bad bugs they can also kill those that the bird needs to survive and possibly breed.
And over medication of all species from humans down (or should that be up) is causing bugs to be resistant to disease and mega bugs to evolve.
I'm with you EO, medicate less, and only when necessary. Do mine when the canarys or gouldians cough (airsac mite)
LML
LML
Rob

I don't medicate on any schedule. Good feeding and conditions strengthen them up when they're a little off for me. I medicate if I can see they need it. Like now, signs point to either mites, parasites or bacteria. If you know and watch your birds enough you can see when help is needed. That's the important thing. You need to watch them carefully, particularly if you choose to not medicate on a schedule.
sully

My experience with coci while racing pigeons, droppings tested every 3 months always positive and recommendation to treat, after 2 years an old friend suggested I use apple cider vinegar in drinking water 12ml to 3lt, problem solved no more vet bills for coci. I am adopting same in my aviary as I get limited sun in aviary, I have a water feature in aviary holds 20lt washed out weekly than I add 20ml of apple cider vinegar, hope this works with the finches without the need for drugs. Would like to hear you thoughts.
Rob

sully wrote:My experience with coci while racing pigeons, droppings tested every 3 months always positive and recommendation to treat, after 2 years an old friend suggested I use apple cider vinegar in drinking water 12ml to 3lt, problem solved no more vet bills for coci. I am adopting same in my aviary as I get limited sun in aviary, I have a water feature in aviary holds 20lt washed out weekly than I add 20ml of apple cider vinegar, hope this works with the finches without the need for drugs. Would like to hear you thoughts.
Can you explain the symptoms. Also where you lived when getting coccidiosis? Eg humidity etc
sully

I had no visual symptoms in my pigeons, just the test results showing positive, the vet told me all birds have coci you must keep it at a low level. I live at Mollymook south coast NSW, average humidity, after a wet spell after a wet spell there would be a flare up with coci with other flyers after I put mine on ACV all my test come back low level no action required, The ACV was all I needed to keep it at bay, prevention is better and cheaper than cure. So I hope it will work in my aviary as good. I myself would like to know what the symptoms are in finches if they show any.
Rob

What's a good broad spectrum antibiotic to use for this sort of thing (bacterial)? What's the better ones?

Also just wanted to mention and get feedback that I spoke to a vet who said she did her thesis on birds and this sort of stuff and she basically said she wouldn't worry about coccidiosis as it's very rarely pathological. She said she's never had a small bird die and small mammals are more susceptible like joeys etc. Apparently they get a natural immunity as well. She suggested it's more common in poultry and wild uncaged birds such as pigeons.
Tiaris

ACV is a good bacterial minimiser which is totally safe to use regularly. I wouldn't ever use a broad spectrum anti-biotic on my birds. Some do, but it is only ever appropriate to do so when treating a specific (correctly diagnosed) infection problem with the treated birds isolated from your flock.
Rob

Tiaris wrote:ACV is a good bacterial minimiser which is totally safe to use regularly. I wouldn't ever use a broad spectrum anti-biotic on my birds. Some do, but it is only ever appropriate to do so when treating a specific (correctly diagnosed) infection problem with the treated birds isolated from your flock.
Might try this first and see if the 2 gouldians improve. Is it just the standard apple cidar vinegar from supermarkets you use. I put a couple of drops of multi clens (chlorhexidine digluconate) in their water to keep bacteria germs out of the water. I assume this has no effect on killing bacteria in the birds though does it?

Return to “Finch Health”