Coccidiosis treatment

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Rob

How do you treat for it. Obviously they get medicated when they have it but what is done to a dirt floor (dirt layer on pavers)? Is it good enough to rake up all bird turds and rubbish or is there something else to be done. Does all sand have to be removed? Can it be sprayed with something? I suspect I have a case as a quail died after the soil got wet from a gutter failure and 2 hen gouldians look a bit average. Strange thing is that a cordon pair and gouldian cocks and fledglings look nice and healthy. I'm treating for mites with ivomec as well as the quails have been jumping (like something's biting their bums) and all birds seem to be preening/picking too much. I couldn't see any mites on the quail either.
20160525_195306__1464177332_144.136.98.99.jpg
Is this worth using or should I chase me up some baycox?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are fairly certain you have coci. And are able to move all the birds into small cages for a couple of days. Remove the top layer of soil, use a flamethrower, or burner of some kind, and burn the surface of the remaining soil. Then top up with fresh soil, and birdies go back into a fresh sterilised environment, that is able to regenerate naturally.
LML
LML
Craig52

If you suspect coccidia chase up some Baycox and at the same time Moxidectin plus,there are a few of us that mix the two together and dose all at the same time with no adverse problems.
Moxi at 5ml /litre of water and Baycox at 3ml for 3 days. Craig
Rob

How common is it? If my floors have gotten soaked (from a busted gutter) a few times. The soil takes a while to dry out again. Is it highly likely? I suppose the only way to confirm is through autopsy.
Can i get some feedback on this aristopet stuff vs baycox etc.
Craig52

Rob wrote:How common is it? If my floors have gotten soaked (from a busted gutter) a few times. The soil takes a while to dry out again. Is it highly likely? I suppose the only way to confirm is through autopsy.
I have only used Baycox although there are other products available. Aristopet uses a totally different ingredient, sulpha which is a bit outdated imo.
I'm sure gomer has some in stock in Merchandise,pm him for details.
Sounds like you need to replace your floor medium with a draining type granitic sand and fix the spout. :thumbup: Craig
Craig52

Craig52 wrote:
Rob wrote:How common is it? If my floors have gotten soaked (from a busted gutter) a few times. The soil takes a while to dry out again. Is it highly likely? I suppose the only way to confirm is through autopsy.
I have only used Baycox although there are other products available. Aristopet uses a totally different ingredient, sulpha which is a bit outdated imo.
I'm sure gomer has some in stock in Merchandise,pm him for details.
Sounds like you need to replace your floor medium with a draining type granitic sand above outside ground level and fix the spout. :thumbup: Craig
BrettB

Hello Rob,

I am interested in what makes you think your birds have coccidiosis, as you have not mentioned any bowel symptoms.
The possibilities for the death of a quail and couple of "average" Gouldian's are extensive, particularly with the recent weather conditions.

The Aristopet product contains Sulphadimidine, which is active against coccidiosis in chickens and Game birds, and presumably other cage birds.

Your question on the prevalence of coccidiosis in Perth is very pertinent, as it was my understanding that it was considerably less common here than on the east coast. I would be delighted to here from anyone that has any evidence to suggests that statement is either true or false.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to isolate all sick birds and keep an open mind

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Rob

BrettB wrote:Hello Rob,

I am interested in what makes you think your birds have coccidiosis, as you have not mentioned any bowel symptoms.
The possibilities for the death of a quail and couple of "average" Gouldian's are extensive, particularly with the recent weather conditions.

The Aristopet product contains Sulphadimidine, which is active against coccidiosis in chickens and Game birds, and presumably other cage birds.

Your question on the prevalence of coccidiosis in Perth is very pertinent, as it was my understanding that it was considerably less common here than on the east coast. I would be delighted to here from anyone that has any evidence to suggests that statement is either true or false.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to isolate all sick birds and keep an open mind

Cheers
Brett
Yes I'm not 100% convinced and that's why I'm trying to get info from people. The floors had been getting damp. This aviary is my only one that mice could get into and the floor had too many bird turds (and possible mice turds) to get damp and ferment. I have noticed the finches squirting out their bums more than usual.
Other than that, the quails have looked healthy with the exception of the jumping (like something's biting them). The one that died died in the afternoon really quickly. It looked healthy when i left the house and 2hrs later was dead. No food in it's gullet, no signs of trauma and couldn't see mites. Can all mites other than airsac be seen with the naked eye? The ones I've seen are easily seen and I've inspected the dead quail thoroughly.
The 2 gouldian hens just seem like they've been fighting something off for some time. Their health has been fluctuating. Good food (extra protein/vitamin powder/sprouted seed) has been picking them up.
I also had a cordon chick die about a week from fledging.
The only other thing I can mention is it died after eating a tray full of maggots and possibly eating the bran with it??
I can just sense something's not right, whatever it is. I watch them alot and see a difference.

I've used cleaned yellow sand like brickies sand because i used the left over on the lawn. Do you think this is a mistake. Maybe it might be worth me swapping it out for white beach sand. It might drain better.
Yes I know I've got to fix the gutters. Even if just to stop the missus whinging would be worth it. I have a case of carpal tunnel so I have to rest inbetween jobs. It's bloody frustrating when you've got stuff to do.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like a bacteria of some sort..especially the jumping/pumping action of the birds when trying to excrete..I would isolate sick/off colour ones and take stool sample to vet. ...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
gomer

vettepilot_6 wrote:Sounds like a bacteria of some sort..especially the jumping/pumping action of the birds when trying to excrete..I would isolate sick/off colour ones and take stool sample to vet. ...
Also the sand you have used once wet seems to hold water once wet. If you can also somehow divert the runoff while your arms rest then then try to dry out whats there naturally or how ever you can. Skim off the poop in the wet areas and lime the floor or disinfect virkon s etc if you are to unwell to do too much in the short term.

I am not familiar with your product but it maybe worth a try to settle the gut and antibiotic ? cocci more so a issue in warmer wet climate if this is applicable ?
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Finch Health”