Egg bound question

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
davlee

What can I give my finches to give the best chance of this not happening?
elferoz777

Stopping them from breeding in cold weather helps.

Not sure on diet as a preventative but someone will know better than me.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
SteveP

My birds get a small serve of their usual dry seed with some cod liver and wheat germ oil mixed in daily, only enough to last them a day. I swear by it and think it also puts good condition on the birds through winter. It has been a part of my daily feeding routine for 3 years and don't have near the egg binding problems i did before using it.
Painted4

SteveP wrote:My birds get a small serve of their usual dry seed with some cod liver and wheat germ oil mixed in daily, only enough to last them a day. I swear by it and think it also puts good condition on the birds through winter. It has been a part of my daily feeding routine for 3 years and don't have near the egg binding problems i did before using it.
I'd have to agree, I put cod liver in with their soaked/sprouted seed every morning through the colder months, i've had great success with it.
roma9009

Yer agree with you painted4 cod liver oil in there seed.
Finchy

Actually that's a good idea. The Vitamin D in the CLO probably helps to form the shells, as well as assisting with bone formation and other types of calcium utilisation.

Also, one thing to be careful to not give them: Don't over-acidify their water, for too long. e.g. If you use ACV long-term, make sure that you use a properly measured low dose. A high dose is also fine for health reasons (eg candida), but only for a few days. Too much for too long, and I believe you will risk causing egg-binding. When over-acidified the body draws calcium from other tissues to help neutralise it, which is not good when there's an egg being constructed.
roma9009

Yer finchy i only use it in small doses for couple of days a month seems to help though.
matcho

Egg binding prevention? Ain't no such thing.The only thing I have used is the wheat germ and cod liver oil. Does ok, but there will be , and make no mistake, some birds will get egg bound no matter what happens. Cold temps to me are the real thing. Funny though, have had some stars and painteds appear to be egg bound in the warmer months but a dose of the WGO seems to sort things out. Just keep up the calcium, egg shells and it should be ok.

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remember to give them calcium in one form or another, that they can choose to take or not as they feel the need. And most will sort their own needs out. But still the odd hen will surcum in cold weather.
LML
LML
davlee

Could attempted breeding at too young an age be a cause?

Return to “Finch Health”