Yeast infections treatment

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Rob

What's the treatment for yeast infections like candida and AGY and how is it prevented? Are there over the counter treatments or is it vet prescription only? Can it really be picked up from feeding maggots and what about sprouted seed?
arthur

Looks like none of our avian vets are going to tackle this one . . . Hope they haven't deserted us

So here goes . . .

I have not experienced yeast problems (that I know of) with finches but they are reasonably common with young lorikeets, probably because of their diet

Nilstat or Mycostatin were effective and easily administered by way of 'wet mix' or crop needle

I used to go a bit heavy on the dosage as lorikeets are pretty tough little critters, and these medicines are not toxic like wormers

I imagine that apple-cider vinegar would be an effective preventative, but never having used it, I shall leave it to others for comment

With finches crop needles would be the way to go, so proficiency in their use would be a plus

Lack of care with soaked seed, and leaving seed that has been wet with rain sit for a couple of days would certainly allow fungus to form

'Clean' maggots shouldn't be a problem

As for 'over-the-counter', the pharmacist used to ask me for the name of the patient, but never put it on the bottle or packet, so don't know the reasoning behind that
Rob

Can nilstat and Mycostatin be put i drinking water effectively? What dosage?
Redwing

Hi Rob
Like mos tinfections to only treat if you have a diagnosis. What makes you wonder if your birds have a yeast infection?
Craig52

To be honest Rob you ask so many questions about ailments and medications which is a good thing but i think you are a little obsessed, i would rather have drug free birds than birds that are dependent on drugs to survive. Craig
Rob

If you don't know the answer you shouldn't post just to pass judgement. I shouldn't need to justify every question.
The only drugs my birds have ever been given is ivomec/moxidectin for mites.
My questions stem from research into the identification of pathogens and parasites under the microscope. Sometimes when you research, you end up with more questions, such as treatment options.
My birds are healthy.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad to hear that your birds are heathy. Knowledge is good, but perhaps the questions you are asking have given people to believe you were seeing symptoms of illness in your birds? When really you are just someone who likes to be prepared?
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”