Medicated birds

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Blue Cuban

The term "Medicated Birds" gets used a fair bit particularly among breeders of blue Gouldian's and isn't a term taken too lightly when people labelled your birds as "Medicated".

I'm very curious to hear what the term "Medicated Birds" mean to you and what uses of products with a time frame which validates calling a bird "medicated".

Obviously Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), Wormers or S76 could be classed as medicating but I personally wouldn't class any bird treated with these products as a "Medicated Bird" and then there is stuff like Triple C that can be openly brought off the shelf which I feel falls into the grey area of "medicated" and so on to the products only available from vets which definitely fall into the "medicated" term depending on usage.

And does it mean that a one off use of a product only available from a vet on 1 bird now means this bird is labelled for life as medicated or only if you treat all your bird routinely with the same product.

I'm sure there is going to be mixed views on this making for a interesting Topic.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
elferoz777

If a bird needs a constant stream of probiotics, vitamens and supplements to survive then i consider it dosed or medicated as you call it.

I only give moxi to mine following bad weather and if the birds look a bit battered. Due to my laziness and fear of overdosing this would occur in my stock about once in every 18 months to two years.

Birds should only need a good diet, shelter and clean conditions. Not a heated hospital cage with an iv of Christ knows what to keep it on the perch. And yes blue goulds for the most part are subject to the above treatment with the exception of a couple if melb breeders ive met.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My definition of medicated = worming every bird on the property every month without fail. Worming or treating for airsac or other mites if/when you happen to see signs of these = sensible bird husbandry. Dittto coci and other treatments. In other words treat your birds like you would your kids. Don't stuff unneccessary meds into them, but dont neglect them.
LML
LML
iva

I have an aviary for 3-4 years now, not worming at all. No loss of bird, just watching for air sac mite and treat only if needed.
Sometimes put apple cider in drinking water only. Adding vitamins with their egg food.
SamDavis

The term "Medicated Birds" to me, is a derogatory term that refers to birds who are permanently given some type of antibiotic in their water. I suspect doxycyline to be the most common but no doubt tetracyclines (such as Vetafarm's Triple-C) are also used. Because the birds have been permanently on antibiotics they have few good bacteria - the good bacteria fight off many baddies. When these birds are sold (and go off antibiotics) they can rapidly succumb due to a compromised immune system.

(Note: nothing to do with Worming or Cocci treatments)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I get for being an innocent country girl :whoohoo: medication is something you give for illness. Drugs for performance are something to do with foriegn athletes. :alien:
LML
LML
Tiaris

Personally I would regard the term medicated in terms of blue Gouldians to mean any collection which receives a regular treatment routine involving broad-spectrum antibiotics (eg. doxy or terra) &/or ronivet to keep them "presentable". ie. those medications which healthy non-mutation Gouldians don't generally require to survive.

Return to “Finch Health”