CLEANING AIR SAC MITES FROM CAGE/ AVIARY?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
fraudster

Hi all,

Just wondering what is the best/ safest product there is to clean an aviary for air sac mites, etc, and directions on how to use it.

Cheers,

Fraudster
Craig52

fraudster wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering what is the best/ safest product there is to clean an aviary for air sac mites, etc, and directions on how to use it.

Cheers,

Fraudster
The best product i can think of would be Coopex on hard surfaces and nooks and crannies and perches. Directions are on the pack,mixed with water and sprayed with the smaller type pump pressure bottle available from Bunnings. But in saying that, the birds transfer air sac mites to each other either by direct contact or from wiping their bills on a perch where they have alighted from the previous infected bird. You need to make sure newly purchased birds are quarantined and treated for ASM and other possible ailments and that cabinet is kept clean as well before and after treatment. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And a lazy way to make the job easier is use natural perches (pruned from the garden) and just replace and burn.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Worm with moxidectin & don't keep canaries with finches.
nicko

Tiaris wrote:Worm with moxidectin & don't keep canaries with finches.
An old post I know but I'm curious enough to ask why Tiaris
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Canaries are slightly more prone to air sac mite than other types of finches. But I find that by changing my perches regularly (about every 4 months) and treating the birds at the first sight of anything I have had no problems over many years of keeping them together.
LML
LML
fraudster

finchbreeder wrote:Canaries are slightly more prone to air sac mite than other types of finches. But I find that by changing my perches regularly (about every 4 months) and treating the birds at the first sight of anything I have had no problems over many years of keeping them together.
LML
thanks for your reply @finchbreeder. just wondering if you had a regular worming program - interested to see what people do, if you dont mind me asking.

Cheers,
Fraudster
Tiaris

I would go so far as to say canaries are far more prone to ASM and very regular carriers of it. Moxidectin is a very effective treatment for ASM as well as other parasites (internal & external).
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I worm with Ivomec, but not more than yearly. Have not found it necessary. Most of my rooves are covered with plastic over the wire. And like I said I change the perches very regularly.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”