Mixed aviary with Gouldians

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
davlee

I have read that Gouldians can get problems by being with Society finches.
Are there any others I should be wary of? Are BFPF OK?

Dave
Brenton

Hi Dave,

In relation to society finches it is likely that they'll "outcompete" gouldians for resources in the aviary. At minimum, the breeding results of the gouldians will suffer.

Of all the parrot finches, the BFPF will be the most aggressive breeder. Gouldians and BFPF can hybridise, so this could cause serious breeding problems. I know breeders that keep red face and tri-colour parrot finches with gouldians without any issues. BFPF could be problematic though!

Cheers,

Brenton
Masterfincher

Hi,
I've kept Gouldians with Societies in a mixed aviary with another half dozen or so species for years, and have not seen any issues - at breeding time, they all seem to hold their own and I usually get pretty good results from all. I also keep RFP finches with Gouldians in another smaller aviary, no problem at all.
GouldianGuy

I heard societies can carry E. coli (or some other bacteria) that may harm Gouldians
davlee

Thanks for the replies.
It appears best that I don't keep them with BFPFs.

My main concern now centres around bacterial transfer mentioned by Gouldian guy. Are there any to be aware of from this aspect?

Dave
Craig52

davlee wrote:Thanks for the replies.
It appears best that I don't keep them with BFPFs.

My main concern now centres around bacterial transfer mentioned by Gouldian guy. Are there any to be aware of from this aspect?

Dave
Dave don't get too bogged down with concern over bacteria from bengo's. All birds carry bacteria and some carry a certain strain that can be passed on when feeding their young OR transferred when used as foster parents as bengo's are in most fostering setups.
If your birds are healthy and fed properly their immune system will fight unwelcome bacteria, just sit back and watch your birds multiply and be happy :D Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I currently have my Gouldians and Bengos in adjoining avairys (common wall of wire) but have previously had them sharing an avairy. Gouldians and Bengos from my observation are both bossy sods when they want to be, and there were incidences of both dominating at different times, but also incidences of the Bengos helping feed fledgling Gouldians. No problems with illness or imprinting was observed.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”