White growths on tanimbar

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Rob

Hi. I need some advice for my tanimbar hen. It has 2 white growths above it's beak near it's air sac holes. Sorry it's too elusive to get a photo. I'm thinking it's maybe scaly face mites or another thing maybe hyperkeratosis. I've never had scaly face so I'm not sure. All the other finches in with it look fine. It doesn't look like a sinus infection and all the feathers are there with no apparent skin redness. Please help/advise what it can be etc.
Thanks
Craig52

Rob wrote:Hi. I need some advice for my tanimbar hen. It has 2 white growths above it's beak near it's air sac holes. Sorry it's too elusive to get a photo. I'm thinking it's maybe scaly face mites or another thing maybe hyperkeratosis. I've never had scaly face so I'm not sure. All the other finches in with it look fine. It doesn't look like a sinus infection and all the feathers are there with no apparent skin redness. Please help/advise what it can be etc.
Thanks
Hi Rob,you mean nostrils ;-) It could be either so treat for both,not sure about sinus infections but i would say treat with an antibiotic like amoxicillin.
Scaly mite should be treated with moxidecton applied with a soaked cotton bud twice daily on the crust and one drop on the bare skin on the back of the neck. Good luck. Craig
Rob

Craig52 wrote:
Rob wrote:Hi. I need some advice for my tanimbar hen. It has 2 white growths above it's beak near it's air sac holes. Sorry it's too elusive to get a photo. I'm thinking it's maybe scaly face mites or another thing maybe hyperkeratosis. I've never had scaly face so I'm not sure. All the other finches in with it look fine. It doesn't look like a sinus infection and all the feathers are there with no apparent skin redness. Please help/advise what it can be etc.
Thanks
Hi Rob,you mean nostrils ;-) It could be either so treat for both,not sure about sinus infections but i would say treat with an antibiotic like amoxicillin.
Scaly mite should be treated with moxidecton applied with a soaked cotton bud twice daily on the crust and one drop on the bare skin on the back of the neck. Good luck. Craig
I'm going to have to catch it to assess it properly because it moves too much to see properly.
So do you think a dose of moxi in drinking water won't cut it for scaly mite - I've already put some in?
How long do you apply the moxi for with a cotton bud - until it disappears?
Can you tell me if the growth with hyperkeratosis is white on finches? From what I've researched ( could only find pics of budgies) it looks like that but white with no brown tinge. Also the hen would've been a bit stressed from trying to breed and moulting. I haven't given enough vitamins while it was moulting either.
It kinda looks too clean to be scaly mites.
Craig52

I'm not sure Rob we are only guessing without a pic,you need to catch it up for a close look imo. Moxi in the water can't hurt in the right dose for all your birds but the infected bird needs to be caught up to be treated for a few days pending diagnosis. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you have more than 1pr in aviary? Thinking maybe fighting. ..or possibly chicks? As Craig says without pics just a guessing game. .
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Rob

20170123_083249__1485132007_144.136.69.195.jpg
20170123_083258__1485131958_144.136.69.195.jpg
20170123_083308__1485131903_144.136.69.195.jpg
Here's some photos. It's definitely a mite I reckon. It's actually coming from it's nostrils and sounds like air sac mite " clicking". I dabbed it with a cotton bud with moxi plus and put 2 drops on it's thigh. Also I put moxi in water for the other birds and this hen. I was going to spray coopex in the aviary too (perches etc.)
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like scaly mite..what you're doing will fix it
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Rob

How long should I do this treatment for before I can put it back in the aviary?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52

Great link for info VP, saves trying to explain the symptoms and cures. Craig :thumbup:

Return to “Finch Health”