White growths on tanimbar

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am a big believer in complete perch replacement. Prune your garden trees and use the pruned branches as perches. Next time you do it chuck the old branches/perches. Complete removal of any mites guaranteed. I use the mulberry and cape lilac tree branches. Gums and Bottlebrush are also suitable, and I am sure others can mention more that they have used.
LML
LML
Rob

Thanks
Rob

How long should this take to clear up. The bird was given moxi for 3 days in water, drops on it's skin and dabs on it's beak. The scaley appearance remains after 9-10 days and I still hear clicking. Is this normal. Should I try another product like avimec. When is it ok to put it back in the aviary - when the scale disappears completely?
starman

Hi Rob,
I've not had personal experience with this problem but I think that the scaley appearance will persist even though the mite has been eradicated as it is caused by the honeycomb of microscopic holes left by the mite. I believe it takes some time to repair...even so the "clicking" sound makes me think that you may still have a problem with air sac mite.... better wait until some of the more experienced guys chime in....

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

Hi Rob, the scale can be scraped off but soften it before you do that with moxi for a few minutes first before you do. The wheezing maybe because the scale is restricting the airway through the nostrils imo.
If this doesn't help the bird might have a respiratory infection and needs to be treated with an antibiotic and or chlorsig ointment.
Craig
Rob

Craig52 wrote:Hi Rob, the scale can be scraped off but soften it before you do that with moxi for a few minutes first before you do. The wheezing maybe because the scale is restricting the airway through the nostrils imo.
If this doesn't help the bird might have a respiratory infection and needs to be treated with an antibiotic and or chlorsig ointment.
Craig
Yes the scaly growth is coming through it's nostrils. It's more clicking noise than wheezing. I'll try to scrape it off but I can't help to wonder how the left over scale inside it's nostrils will affect it. This stuff clearly doesn't clear up easily on it's own. Do you think the mites have been killed yet though?
Craig52

Time is your friend Rob, don't rush a return to the aviary. Also someone mentioned airsac mites so keep the moxi treatment going for a few more days. In the meantime you need to clean and treat your aviary as some have said. Good luck. Craig
Rob

Do you think it's good enough to spray the perches with a strong coopex mix in hot water (to soak in) or is it necessary to disinfect with a bleach? I thought disinfectant is more for disease etc.
I have sprayed the cages and brush with a strong coopex mix and spray the perches with each moxi treatment

I tried to soften and scape the scale but found it near impossible to soften it enough to do safely. Failed with that one.
Craig52

Hi Rob, i'm no real expert with these treatments but you seem to be doing the right applications with coopex but hot water isn't necessary. Coopex is residual which means when it dries the coopex powder lingers on for weeks killing bugs.
I find it better to mist/fog spray my aviaries with the birds in it but remove foods/seed/livefood and water and replace when the aviary looks dry.
If your bird isn't responding to treatment, take it to a good avian Vet and tell them what treatments you have been using. Craig
Rob

I think it is improving - just slowly. I'm only up to week 2 treatment. I read somewhere that it may take 6-8 weeks for the appearance to get right with 3 moxi treatments 1 week apart. One website showed photos with a massive improvement week 3 where others show little difference at 3 weeks.
The bird actually looks vibrant.

Return to “Finch Health”