Male black-bellied crimson not fully coloured?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
fraudster

Hi all,

Just wondering if there's something I should be concerned about, given I only had these finches for a short period of time.
From may photos, I've noticed that male crimsons have a very rich, vibrant red colour on their face - however, my male has a bit of brown where the cheek is. When I bought him, he was brilliantly red. Just wondering if he's going through a moult of some sort, or if it's something I'm doing wrong. Currently feed them on a diet consisting of a finch mix, tonic mix (for my siskin and canaries but they have a peck of it here and there), fresh fruits and veggies daily, sprouted seed, frozen green-milky seeds, commercial egg and biscuit (sometimes), boiled egg (sometimes), homemade egg food (sometimes), and vitamin added to water every now and then.

Thank in advanced,

Fraudster.
Craig52

fraudster wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering if there's something I should be concerned about, given I only had these finches for a short period of time.
From may photos, I've noticed that male crimsons have a very rich, vibrant red colour on their face - however, my male has a bit of brown where the cheek is. When I bought him, he was brilliantly red. Just wondering if he's going through a moult of some sort, or if it's something I'm doing wrong. Currently feed them on a diet consisting of a finch mix, tonic mix (for my siskin and canaries but they have a peck of it here and there), fresh fruits and veggies daily, sprouted seed, frozen green-milky seeds, commercial egg and biscuit (sometimes), boiled egg (sometimes), homemade egg food (sometimes), and vitamin added to water every now and then.

Thank in advanced,

Fraudster.
Are you able put up a pic Fraudster, mine have just finished their moult and preparing to go to nest. Craig
fraudster

Craig52 wrote:
fraudster wrote:Hi all,

Thank in advanced,

Fraudster.
Are you able put up a pic Fraudster, mine have just finished their moult and preparing to go to nest. Craig
Hey Craig! there's an issue with uploading - "file size too large", is there any way i could fix this? If not, i will upload it to an alternate site and post the link up here, but he has some white/pin feathers on his head.

Re. breeding, do the males usually build the nest? I had a canary nest cup in the corner of my aviary and the cock would fill the cup nest with some material, trash it, do it again, and the cycle repeats... He was doing this as soon as i bought him, and went on for two weeks. I didn't know what nest they used but visited Allan Tully and he gave me some of his wire container nests to try out. Put them into the aviary and are scared of it!
Craig52

Resize to 800 x 600 which is huge for the forum but looks great.

All my crimsons use gouldian nest boxes but have bred in wire cylinders or larger size dog food or coffee tins with the lid half bent down but well ventilated with 3mm holes in the top and bottom.
Emu feathers are their main nest building material and it seems to excite them to display and nest. Yes the cock carts the nesting material and the hen sits in the nest to receive it to weave. Craig
fraudster

Craig52 wrote:Resize to 800 x 600 which is huge for the forum but looks great.

All my crimsons use gouldian nest boxes but have bred in wire cylinders or larger size dog food or coffee tins with the lid half bent down but well ventilated with 3mm holes in the top and bottom.
Emu feathers are their main nest building material and it seems to excite them to display and nest. Yes the cock carts the nesting material and the hen sits in the nest to receive it to weave. Craig
Hope this is clear enough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like start of an eye issue
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
fraudster

vettepilot_6 wrote:Looks like start of an eye issue
Any suggestions how to treat him if that's the case?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chlorsig.... if bacterial...moxidectin if mites...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

To me he looks like he has not completely finished his moult, they look like unbroken feather shafts as well as a couple on the crown.
His eye is very clear so not an eye infection imo, give him another couple of weeks and see how it goes and post another pic of him of better quality. Cheers Craig

Return to “Finch Health”