Worming finches whilst they're feeding chicks?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
fraudster

Hey all,

I have read a couple of old responses to using moxidectin plus whilst finches are either sitting on eggs or feeding their chicks, but just want a bit more reassurance if it is okay to use whilst finches are feeding their chicks? Currently have gouldians and siskins chicks (all older than 7 days) in the nest.
Also, this question applies to toltravet, a coccidiosis treatment, too.

Cheers,
Will.
arthur

I was never a great fan of worming unnecessarily . .

And birds healthy enough to go to nest and rear young are not likely to fall victim to a worm burden in the 5 or 6 weeks that it takes the chicks to become independent

Mother Nature doesn't worm her birds, and while no doubt she loses a few, I don't think that they would be the ones involved in family duties

There is a big difference between what you can do, and what should be done
Craig52

Agree with Arthur, if your birds are fit and healthy and breeding there is no need to worm or treat for coccidia. I have never heard of that particular treatment for coccidia. Most use Baycox or Coccivet?. Craig
Brenton

I am aware that Toltravet is available at some veterinarians such as APC.

The supplier/vet might be able to assist.

I breed gouldians and they simply aren't preventatively treated in winter. I keep my feeding areas in clean condition which I find to of adequate prevention.

Similar to those above, I don't see the benefit. I didn't lose an adult bird in my flock last year to any illness and simply wormed once breeding had finished (but before the regular moult).

Each to their own - plenty would have a different view!

Cheers,

Brenton

Return to “Finch Health”