Help... Zebra.. Zappy

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
kazfromadelaide

Hi guys and gals.. I have a vid of my Zebra, Zappy... I think she is egg bound.... Thought and treatment ?

https://youtu.be/jziBUOont8U
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I could be wrong but that water looks a bit off to me.... plus looks like its a bit damp in areas on the bricks...maybe coccidiousis? :think: if she is eggbound heat first and foremost...quiet as well... should be able to feel the egg in abdomen..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Some finches sit like that if they about to lay their first egg so see what she is like in the morning.
Are you feeding plenty of calcium in the way of cuttle bone and baked or microwaved egg shells.

On a different note that water dish is too steep and deep for your birds, i noticed when she went to drink she freaked out and flew away.
Imo find a dish that is 20-30mm deep with vertical sides which be much more appreciated by your birds. Cheers Craig
arthur

Bit too lively to be egg-bound . .

But certainly not 100% IMO
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She does look a bit off colour. Hopefully just pre egg laying discomfort. But as suggested already, a small warm cage for a while till the lay has been achieved could be the go. And definately replace that water bowl, it is scary, birds can't feel safe on that steep edge. Good luck with Zappy.
LML
LML
kazfromadelaide

vettepilot_6 wrote:I could be wrong but that water looks a bit off to me.... plus looks like its a bit damp in areas on the bricks...maybe coccidiousis? :think: if she is eggbound heat first and foremost...quiet as well... should be able to feel the egg in abdomen..
They have their UV light on.... Makes everythig bluey green... Water is clean.
kazfromadelaide

She seems back to normal again... I will up her calcium. Zippy and Zappy have been very busy building a nest. Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do they not get sunlight? Need more than UV light if you're trying to simulate natural light...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
kazfromadelaide

vettepilot_6 wrote:Do they not get sunlight? Need more than UV light if you're trying to simulate natural light...
They get good morning light. I have bought the lamp to use mainly for Winter.
kazfromadelaide

Zappy is going great ... Zippy and Zappy have made 2 nests. Zappy has laid an egg.

zappy egg 640.jpg
Then they built the Mansion around it.
nest 1 640.jpg
nest 2 640.jpg
nest 3 640.jpg
Its like she wasn't happy with the one bedroom apartment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Finch Health”