Dead Hecks

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Masterfincher

Hi all,
over the past 2 weeks 4 out of my 5 Hecks longtails have died, one every couple of days. They are in an aviary with gouldians, ruddies, stars and chestnut breasted manninkins; they are all fine, in fact there are babies in nests doing fine too. Any ideas why they would be dying, and not the others? They seem a bit out of sorts one day, then dead the next. I put them in a hospital cage as soon as I notice them not looking good, to no avail.
My thoughts - old age? I bought them from a pet shop about 2 years ago, so don't know their age. They have never bred for me.
Or, I did have (removed it today) a large umbrella tree overhanging the water pond, and the rainbow lorikeets have been feasting on it the last couple of weeks, so the petals/bits and pieces have been falling into the pond. I do hose it out most days. Could this poison them? If so, why are the other species fine?
Any thoughts appreciated again.
Thanks.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wet rear? Seems odd only losing the hecks. ..could be poison from umbrella tree if hecks eating leaves or such... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
starman

Masterfincher wrote:My thoughts - old age? I bought them from a pet shop about 2 years ago, so don't know their age.
I don't have any ideas re: poisoning but I think it very unlikely that four birds (even if they were from the same clutch) would die of old age in such a short time period. There would be too many variances eg. genetic, metabolic, immune etc., to make this a likely scenario. It would also seem likely that some others in the flock would at least be sick if the drinking water was the problem, but perhaps the Heck's may just be more susceptible and sensitive to this. I hope you have no more losses...

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Masterfincher

Yes, I agree Starman, didn't think they'd all die that close together, even if all from one clutch.
And Vettepilot, no wet rear end on 3, a bit of waste on 1, but no other symptoms.
The last remaining Hecks seems ok at the moment, I'll see what the future brings :)
Thanks
starman

Masterfincher wrote:
The last remaining Hecks seems ok at the moment, I'll see what the future brings :)
Thanks
Masterfincher, is that last Heck's still up and running ??

Sm.
Sm.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thought of something later...Hecks will share roosting nests...check for blood sucking mites...can make them anemic :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Masterfincher

Hi, no starman, he didnt make it. Same sort of time- 2 to 3 days - then passed away. All other types still ok. And VP, what will i see when looking for blood sucking mites? I froze a couple of the bodies so could i see the mites on them? Thanks again.
Zippythedoublebar

Masterfincher wrote:Hi, no starman, he didnt make it. Same sort of time- 2 to 3 days - then passed away. All other types still ok. And VP, what will i see when looking for blood sucking mites? I froze a couple of the bodies so could i see the mites on them? Thanks again.

I'm thinking maybe some sort of parasite / worm of some kind specific to hecks or maybe the lorries in the umbella tree pooped and they ate it?
50 Zebras 6 different mutations 1 pair of Cordon Bleus 1 pair of Gouldians 30 King and Button Quail 6 pairs of Society Finches a pair of double bar finches a pair of Red browed Finches a pair of diamond doves and 2 pairs of red faced parrot Finches.
Hoping to get turquoise parrots tri coloured parrot Finches diamond firetails and more Zeb mutations
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Blood sucking mites live in crevices of nest boxes etc. ..maybe spray witjh coopex and clean unused boxes etc?
starman

Masterfincher, were those four Heck's jammed into the same roost nest/box? If so could be worth scrutinizing the nest contents and the (frozen) birds for nasties as suggested by Vp...

Sm.
Sm.

Return to “Finch Health”