how best to save zebra eggs

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Tass

Got home this afternoon and found a hen ,I'll say egg bound ,on the floor ,couldn't fly and panting. By the time I moved her to my hospital cage she died. She has laid 6 eggs which I really want to try and save. I don't have an incubator so I've set the eggs under a heat lamp with water and a themometer and am aware to turn eggs back and forth 8 times a day.

Another pair of zebras laid their first egg today, so how best to use this pair as the fosters.

I've only once before tried to transfer eggs and they abandoned the nest straight away.(from memory I think I tried it before the foster laid their 3rd egg)

My concerns are
A/are the eggs to far apart (7 days) and
2/what day should I attempt to swap the eggs eg day 4 or 5 when they have started sitting on the eggs

p.s I'm not interested in saving any of the eggs from the 2nd pair
arthur

Eggs last quite a bit longer than you think

I would swap them one for one as pair #2 lay, but if it is the same pair that deserted last time this might not be the way to go

You obviously will need to mark the replacements, just a small mark with a soft leaded pencil

Don't be frightened to experiment, it's all experience and if you do nothing the eggs are lost anyway

You have to manage your birds . . but do it sensibly

Most times, despite what you may think, you know more than the birds . . but naturally sometimes they know more than you do

A bit of a two-bob each way answer but don't be afraid to make a decision . . if it's wrong this time you will learn from it
Tass

Thank you Arthur

Makes a lot of sense what you advised. My only concern was that the original hen started sitting on the eggs but the #2 hen is 2 days away from sitting on her eggs.
It is a different pair from the ones that abandoned on my previous attempt.I'm finding the eggs easier to handle with a teaspoon than trying to get with fingers . The main thing is now I know eggs are much hardier than I first thought, and really liked this hen that passed so these chicks if hatched will be special

Once again thank you
emmo

Good luck Tass. I've just done similar with eggs from a pair of split blue Gouldian Finches where the male died soon after they went down on 6 eggs. Fortunately there was another pair of normal Gouldians just started sitting so I swapped their eggs and the foster parents don't know any difference.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like Arthur said, do it slowly. Birds cant count, but are not stupid. A hen with one egg knows she did not lay six overnight. But an egg a day swap, and if she stops before you get to 6 still add an egg a day. Hopefully most will hatch. :thumbup:
LML
LML
D0NKEY

Id go as finchbreeder & arthut suggested. at the end of the day, most birds will sit for a little longer before they abandon eggs as not hatching. take the chance they're lost as they are now anyways.
Tass

thanks guys. got 4 eggs under her and she's sitting on them.it was day 2 that had my concerns as she wouldn't be sitting on them. waited for day 3 snuck 4 in . and now ill do 5 and 6 in the next 2 days

thanks for great advise

Return to “Finch Health”