Uterine Prolaps in Budgie Hen

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Elana

Hi All,

Has anyone come across this situation with any of their breeding girls.

Never bred before
Never laid eggs before
Never interested in her cage mate

Presented last night with huge egg, hanging outside of her body, still encased in bloody uterine tissues.

Washed everything in warm running water, but there was no way she could pass this very large egg.

Collapsed the egg, and removed all of it.

Washed again in warm water and coated swollen exposed tissues in polysporin triple action

Placed under warm light

As of this morning, she's still alive, and some of the swelling has gone down. However, there is still part of her insides hanging outside.

I repeated same treatment and placed her back under her warm light.

I don't have much hope in this case, with all the exposed tissue and infection which is sure to set in.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, and how they've dealt with it.

Thanks,

Elana
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As my mother is a show Budgiebreeder. I have seen the odd budgie prolapse. What you have done is good, now unfortunately you need to attempt to gently push the prolapse back in with a very clean finger. The rare hen will survive this process if she is in good health. But under no circumstances should she be allowed to attempt to breed again for a year if she survives. How old is the hen? I am assuming it is blinking cold where you are, as it is here? Winter and Summer breeding are always more hazardous than Spring or Autumm, so recommend you try to stick with 2 x 3 month seasons. I assume you breeding room breeding?
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”