Egg bound

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

it had to happen I suppose but how I wish it hadn't.
have my first case of an egg bound finch today, one of my painted's.
she is now in a cage on her own with plenty of food and water available.
other than waiting I'm not sure what else I can do. she had access to plenty of shell grit and cuttlefish(ground & whole).
always had fresh green food and live food available.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Steven

Hi Mick how is she going now is she a bit better

One of my female Bengalese Finch was egg bound yesterday when i got home i gave her some breeder aid and that helped her out a bit she is all better now

The breeder aid is really good for finches when they are egg bound
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

she was dead the next morning. am still trying to find her mate a new partner.
Mick.
Steven

:cry: Sorry to hear that mate

Have you ever used breeder aid or any other chemicals for egg bound birds before cause the breeder aid is a really good one it helps them a lot.
Dean

Hello Steven i am going to breed my zebras would i need this chemical if i was going to breed them just in case is she gets egg bound
Steven

Hi Dean if i was you i would buy it just in case if that happens. Also give them a good diet of foods like apple, mealworms, and shell grit.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

she was my first ever egg bound bird. up to now I have not added any supplements of any sort to the feed or water. couple of times a week I put powdered cuttlefish on the seed and livefood but thats as close to a supplement as I get. keep meaning to get some liquid kelp to add to the water.
Mick.
Matt

Read an interesting reply to a question in Just Finches & Softbills regarding egg bound birds. Obviously the warmth of a hospital cage is first and foremost, but it went on to mention that by the time they are found on the bottom of the cage they have probably been there for hours without eating, so check the crop and if it's empty feed them some hand rearing formula with a crop needle. I think this makes perfect sense as the bird needs plenty of energy to pass the egg and with no fuel in the tank there is little hope for them.
gomer

I to use breeding aid.used it at the start of the season and ran out,But just got another litre.Have had no problem birds up to now touch wood,I believe the breeding aid may have helped with the storage of calcium.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder what it is that cage & aviary birds are missing from their diets to cause this to happen. it has to be very rare in the wild or we would hear of dead finches all the time. we give them extra calcium via cuttlefish mainly which is not available to them in the wild, they get egg food for protein again not there in the wild.
maybe one day there will be an answer
Mick.

Return to “Finch Health”