New zebra finch losing feathers.

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
cate

Hello recently i brought 2 new zebra finches and they are housed with my two other zebras and my 1 java (they are housed in a big parrot cage). recently i noticed only 1 of my new zebras is losing his feathers all the birds are male and all get along well, he is losing feathers under his neck and today i noticed he is losing them on his head. He isn't scratching excessively, they have plenty of shell grit (for calcium) and plenty of sun light i also don't see any presence of any parasites on the skin. He doesn't act stressed and is eating and drinking normally . Any advice is helpful, thank you.
starman

Keep a close eye on them Cate.... head and neck feather loss may be due to aggressive plucking, especially in a small enclosure.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
CathyCraftz

The other Finches are probably bullying the finch. Remember, birds bully with their beak, so it is best to place the bald finch in a separate cage next to the main cage so it won’t get lonely and remove the java finch and give it a companion, as sometimes different bird species don’t get along.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Finch Health”