pest strips

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
shnapper20

ok here is my dilemma, over the past few seasons I have had balding in my gouldians some yrs worse than others , for years I had none at all. I have for the past 3yrs medicated for mites, selective bred, introduced fresh blood. Thought I had it under control yet there are signs of it reappearing yet in not all the aviaries. I winnow my seed, mix it with fresh seed and feed it back to the birds. I believe the mite is in the winnowed seed. So I thought pest strips in seed hoppers, coopex aviaries, medicate. Im in the process of medicating. What are the thoughts of others in regards to pest strips in the seed hoppers ? Or should I empty all seed hoppers spray with surface spray and start again with fresh seed? any opinions would be appreciated. thanks john
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use bay leaves in cheese cloth dropped into top of seed container... :thumbup: think maybe hens usually are too stressed re breeding time....I have had one hen do it one year..yet not since?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you actually seen any mites? Is it only once they get in the breeding mood?
LML
LML
mr skeeter

i use surface spray in all my seed hoppers then fill them up, i also use bay leaves in my seed bins with great success. cheers mick
shnapper20

my breeding birds have no sign of it, its in my holding aviary where there is probably more stress and recycled seed . Im going to try the suface spray and bayleaves and maybe a couple of pest strips, as you wouldnt think they would be anymore detrimental than surface spray. I was cleaning out one of my aviaries at the start of the season and something bit me all over my legs, i was wearing shorts, I couldnt see anything but assumed it was mites. I may have too coopex more often.

Return to “Finch Health”