Sick Gouldian - Uncoloured Juvenile

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
gomer

poitta wrote:try some codliver oil about 5 to 6 drops in 1kg of seed it may help a bit to...pete
all my birds get 20ml each of codliver oil and breeding aid per kilo,during winter. and breeding aid only for the rest of the year.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

come to think of it it may have been caps not drops . its been a while since i had to do it. so it would of been around 20 mls.. things you forget over time....
craig

Excellent i will give it a go. What does the cod liver oil do ? More fat based or something ?
gomer

I supose it could make them fat.but not here in winter,as they burn it all off trying to keep warm.It also helps stop birds from getting egg bound.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Fischer

Gouldians can also be affected by Cochlosoma infections, I've had a few problems with it in the past, The clinical signs are pretty much the same as yours. Your bird, I think, just got too cold, In juveniles, as mentioned, This can be deadly.

In mild infections a good Probotic will get rid of the infection but if the bird has had the infection for a while a Probotic will only kill the live Cochlosoma in the gut but the Cochlosoma also burrows into the gut lining and can be hard to kill, you need something stronger like Turbosole to do that. One of the commonest carriers of Cochlosoma are Bengalese Mannikins and House Sparrows I think.

Hope this helps....Cheers tony :)
craig

thanks for the info tony. I do actually have 2 pairs of bengalese in the same avairy. And from memory one of the juveniles used to bunk in the
same nesting box with them from time to time. How infectious is this cochlosoma ?
Fischer

Hi Craig, The link I've added will explain it better than I can, It was actually Dr Danny Brown that diagnosed the problem I had, I see too that he recommends another remedy now :)

http://www.vetafarm.com.au/pages/Cochlo ... nches.html

Cheers Tony
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I though the main reason for cod liver oil was lack of vitamin D? Which is a lack of sunlight problem. And we on the western side of the country don't have that problem much. :lol: Mind you I can see cold being the problem as by our standards it has been dam cold and wet this winter, (she says looking out at another cold wet morning in sunny W.A. :( )
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”