Gouldian - Lost his Leg

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Boma

I have a Gouldian that got its leg caught in wire. Unfortunately he now has one leg. While he is able to fly, he is obviously very unstable on his foot. He is a young bird, but I find it a bit cruel to leave him in this disabled state as he is struggling. What do others do when they have a disabled bird that survives?
CathyCraftz

Try and make some adjustments to the cage so he can move around easier. He will get used to it eventually. Are you planning to let him breed?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
gomer

If it was a major part of the leg missing I would put the thing out of its misery. If only minor some one may take it or you may have a place for it. The very much doubt the bird will ever be a breeder,its pretty hard to hang onto a hen with one foot. Everyone has different ideas I look at quality of life and if I can find homes for the odd bird.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Boma

Yes its a major part of the leg. He will not be a breeder, which is a shame because his parents are my best pair and I expect their chicks to be good quality. Unfortunately no one wants him as I have tried to give him away - he would make a nice pet. His quality of life is poor - will see if he survives the night. Thanks for the input.
CathyCraftz

Did he just cut off his leg completely on the wire or did you have to bring him to the vet? Like gomer said, put him out of his misery if it is a major part of the leg lost.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
gomer

Ok Boma sounds bad your decision may be taken out of your hands overnight. If you decide you have to do it in the morning. I find the most humane way to deal with this type of situation is a quick dislodgement of the head removing the spinal cord from the body. Its a thing I dont enjoy to do and feel terrible doing, but have to remember I am doing it end the suffering of the bird.

Good luck with your decision.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
CathyCraftz

If the leg was severed by the wire, he might have lost a lot of blood. If the vet amputated the leg, the finch might still be very stressed. The finch might not survive the night but keep it well supplied with water and food. If it can't move around very well, you might want to place the food and water on the cage floor so it is easier to reach than to perch on the container from a height.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A lost foot is managable, my Cuban hen lost hers a couple of years ago and is fine with the stump. But more needs observation to see how he goes, if he survives the night. Maybe a pet for a teen who wants to be a vet/vet nurse?
LML
LML
matcho

Have read all of the replies and agree in part of Gomer and FB. Have had a few birds who have been damaged by catching leg rings in the brush, butcherbirds through the wire and other circumstances. Most of the time the leg will wither and drop off, no doubt causing discomfort at the time or the bird will die due to the stress/trauma according to the level of injury. As I said I have had birds where this has happened, most have survived and lived full lives even breeding with bugger all problems. Considering it is a Gould, they mate in the nest box so a leg really doesn't come into play compared to mating on a perch. As for the comment about his breeding ability, he still carries the genes of his parents and will be of good quality. His injury is not going to impact on any progeny. Personally I wouldn't pull the trigger too quick, they are pretty resilient little things and can bounce back pretty quick.

Ken.

Return to “Finch Health”