No feathers why?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is there a large number of sources of pet birds in Taiwan? Or are you very restricted in where you can get birds?
LML
LML
nissantseng

Rod_L wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:36 This must be something fairly new and I would agree with you that it's probably a genetic condition. I use to keep gouldians back in the 80s and they never had that problem, although a lot of the stock back then was wild caught. So it is possibly from poor genetics caused by inbreeding the weird colour varieties.

When buying birds to breed, try to get them from different shops or suppliers so you have more chance of getting unrelated birds.

Feed the birds a varied diets including dry seed, green grass seed, various fruits & veges (including dark green leafy vegetables), boiled egg mixed with crushed cornflakes, and have clean water, mineral grit, an iodine block & cuttlebone available all the time.

If you have a canary with the same issue then there could be other factors involved including mites (get some Ivermectin from a vet to treat that), stress, chemicals in the environment (if they are indoor birds make sure they are not exposed to fumes from cooking, hair sprays, perfumes, deodorants, cigarette smoke, etc, or near an air conditioner or heater).

Make sure they have a good varied diet and add a vitamin supplement each day.

Make sure they get some sunlight each day, but avoid putting them out in midday sun because they will get sunburnt. Put them out in the morning and make sure they have some shade and increase the amount of time they can get sunlight. But not too much because birds can get skin cancer too.
Thank you for your careful reply, I try my best to make it a little better.
nissantseng

ShaneGowland wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 15:41 Are they getting natural sunlight?
Yes, they have sunshine.
nissantseng

finchbreeder wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 19:54 Is there a large number of sources of pet birds in Taiwan? Or are you very restricted in where you can get birds?
LML
There are a large number of bird sources, often exported to other countries.
JustPerching

Happened to one of my Gouldians before, a very old RH Hen & my friendliest Gouldian. None of my other Gouldians have ever had this problem. She got her head feathers back the next time she moulted. She had never any head balding problems either before or since (just this one time). I assume genetics factors combined with age were responsible since I saw no bullying & all my Gouldians live in the same conditions.
nissantseng

Thank you for your concern, it has grown feathers, thank you again. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe she just got stuck in the moult for some reason. Glad to see her looking happier.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”