lesson learnt

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
gomer

long story but will try to keep short.Started new job twelve months ago,working in extreme heat at times like 40c during winter 60c plus on hot days in summer.So have become sort of immune to the heat.

Decided today to start organising young for up coming sale,since the weather felt good.caught up one holding cage to check all health and worm.as photo below.
P2271345.jpg
Then let them go back in aviary,noticed a couple looked stressed.So went inside to get drink before starting the rest.Checked ambient temp 35 degrees celcius.So decided to hot for birds to be chasing them around etc.went back after an hour to check the ones i had caught,and found eight dead on floor.didnt i feel bad.luckily i didnt just go and do the others,as there is more in that holding cage.

So i hope by writting this it may be a lesson as it has been a painful one for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Page0044

Gee sorry to hear the bad news Gomer, its a bad way to learn a lesson.

Greg
Cheers
Greg
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ouch, hard lesson. not one that will be forgotten in a hurry
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
fincher

sorry for the lost. at me work we dont catch birds over 33 or so and you dont know how many people ask can we get some birds please and we say no its too hot come back in the morning and then they try to to make some story up and say we have driven over an hour to fet here for no reason then. we just say to bad were not going to put the risk of losing our birds just to make a little profit we would rather see the customer with healthy unstressed birds that will make it through the next 24hrs than dying.
chris

Return to “Finch Health”