Yersiniosis Disease

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Fischer

Has any one here had any problems or experience with Yersiniosis Disease (no I'm not making up the name Folks :D) and know of an antibotic for it.

Yersiniosis is a close relative of Yersiniosis pestis (black death) and can be carried by mice and the house sparrow. When I bought this place there was an existing aviary here ( I've since christened it THE MOUSE MANSION ) it had been in recent use and was filthy, seed not cleaned out for a long time and evidence of a large mouse population, so I havn't used it, but I cleaned it out as best I could, later I will revamp it and concrete the floors. The problem might have originated with those mice. It's more likely that it originated from the sparrows though, there's large numbers in this town and a lot visit my backyard to steal the chook's food.

I will have to fully roof my new aviaries :cry: because of these sparrows and also because of the hawks..there seem to be a few of those too. :x

Cheers Tony
gomer

cant say i have ever heard of it.sounds pretty bad though.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i thought i had it about 5 years ago when o lost about 20 goulds in one week.autopsy after autopsy no major signs of anything i thought it may have been that. but in the end i baited the mice bigtime as my neighbors moved house and took there aviary with them so the mice moved in. in the end the goulds were eating the pretty blue pellets the mice were bringing from out side . the baits were the blue wax blocks and the crap was every where. since then i have never used the stuff.....pete p.s we dont have the problems sparrows over here. so we are kind of lucky i guess...pete
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As Pete says we West. Aussies don't have sparrows to deal with, but I still have 2 of my 3 aviarys fully roofed, because the dam doves won't get lost and are responsible for carrying disease. Hope to talk nice to the other half soon and get the other aviary covered too. :D
LML
LML
Fischer

gomer wrote:cant say i have ever heard of it.sounds pretty bad though.
Yes it can be Gomer, I've bought all the suspect birds inside of the house (spare room is a bit crowded now, there's over 50 lovebirds that are suss :)) and medicated them with a broad spectrum antibiotic, and the birds are looking better with no more deaths. I've been in touch with Colin Walker about it and will send him a bird for a definite diagnosis if I get another death, hopefully I wont :)
poitta wrote:i thought i had it about 5 years ago when o lost about 20 goulds in one week.autopsy after autopsy no major signs of anything i thought it may have been that. but in the end i baited the mice bigtime as my neighbors moved house and took there aviary with them so the mice moved in. in the end the goulds were eating the pretty blue pellets the mice were bringing from out side . the baits were the blue wax blocks and the crap was every where. since then i have never used the stuff.....pete p.s we dont have the problems sparrows over here. so we are kind of lucky i guess...pete

I made that mistake once before too Pete and for the same reasons wont use loose baits near the aviaries. I did see a pic in one of the posts here ( I think it was Gomer's) of a bait station for uses outside the aviaries that looks pretty safe and I will make one and give it a try. Was it yours Gomer and are they successful ?? Your lucky in W.A to have no sparrows, they are becoming a plague in some areas over here :x
poitta wrote:As Pete says we West. Aussies don't have sparrows to deal with, but I still have 2 of my 3 aviarys fully roofed, because the dam doves won't get lost and are responsible for carrying disease. Hope to talk nice to the other half soon and get the other aviary covered too. :D
LML

Doves can be worse for carrying diseases than sparrows, especially worms, fortunately there's not many at all here. It's a pity we have to fully roof our aviaries because of these pests as most birds enjoy a bath / shower when it rains :) Keep talking nice to the other half :D :D

Cheers Tony
gomer

May have been one of mine.heres a picture.
PC050880.jpg
I have about fifteen of them.have them in the house ,shed and avairys.I only use the paste throw satchels,so the mice cant drag away the bait.
I did have a few mice in an avairy a few months ago.But put out a bait station a they appeared to have died within a couple of days.Now i have extra stations and leave them out all the time.I check them every now and then to see if any bait is taken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fischer

Yes that's the one I was thinking of Gomer, thanks, when you say I only use the paste throw satchels do you mean those small throw paper satchels of ratsack or something else, if so, what's the brand please?? Each state has different reg's for pest control products, I've never seen a paste one here in N.S.W

Cheers Tony
gomer

Yes Tony,They are Racumin, made by bayer.I buy them from home hardware.Its a harware/stock feed store.
Also good to throw around in your house roof for mice and rats.They love the stuff,they will even eat it if there is plenty of food around.
DSCF0423.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fischer

Many thanks Gomer, For posting a pic, a paste is better than pellets that can get carted around, I'll try to track some down, and since it looks like it will be a wet day today I'll make some of your bait stations :D

Cheers Tony
craig

I'd buy some just for the chance at winning a dyson =)
( mrs new xmas pressie =P )

Return to “Finch Health”