I think her toe is falling off!!

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
RPatchett

A couple of weeks ago I started treating for scaly mites in my finches although only one of them showed any symptoms. Her leg never started to get less scaly but it didn’t transmit to other bird or spread to beak for example.

BUT her middle toe (the longest one on top) started twisting around. Today it has started bleeding and when I took her out to inspect it I noticed it looks like it’s falling off. WHAT IS HAPPENING? Is it actually mites or not? Please someone help.
starman

An in focus and well lit close-up photo of the lower leg and toe would be helpful.
It will be very difficult for any forum member to express an opinion or make a suggestion without that.
The bird should survive a toe loss, providing the problem stops there.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is possible for birds being treated for scaly mite to lose nails and or tips of toes during the treatment if the condition is bad to begin with. But do what SM said and past a picture for a definate answer.
LML
LML
RPatchett

Thanks! Could you please let me know how I can upload a photo?
RPatchett

I have also posted in the finch forum dot com under health - there are photos there...
noah.till

Buy a ointment called 'Clorsig'
It is regarded as an ointment for eyes for humans, but I have used it for years on cut and nicks and a bad toes for birds and it works very well
You can buy it from your local chemist
It would help making sure no infection is introduced once the toe has fallen off
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
starman

The appearance in the close up photo is suggestive of a roughly torn off 'toenail'. This is not a rarity in finches kept in metal enclosures.
It will likely heal cleanly, but if monitoring shows signs of infection you may consider using Chlorsig Ointment as suggested by Noah. It is an antibiotic, so should help curb infection. Please don't construe this as veterinary advise, use your own judgement and do what you think is best for your bird. Consult a vet if you deem it necessary.

EDIT.
After re-reading your description and more carefully studying the picture, I can see that the toe is still present and seems to have inverted. Perhaps a twisting trauma/fracture?
I have seen recommendations for amputation of the toe in these scenarios, but I am reluctant to advocate for that as first aid. Ask if there is somebody in your area with the experience to assess the situation for you, (first hand) . If not, then monitor her condition carefully until you can decide whether the condition is improving or deteriorating and, as stated above, watch for infection.
Finches are naturally very resilient little creatures and can recover well from seemingly dire situations.
Sm.
RPatchett

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. Just an update: Her toe went black and fell off. It seems to be a clear break-off with no necrotic tissue left behind and she seems to be perching normally. I’ll put that ointment you recommend on it for a while just to make sure there’s no infection. Thanks so much for all the advice!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad to hear that she is doing OK.
LML
LML
starman

…..and thanks for posting the outcome. This will be really helpful for future readers with the same or similar problem.

EDIT.

That should read : This will be really helpful for future readers WHO HAVE BIRDS with the same or similar problem.

I don't think that any READERS with gangrenous toes will be likely to seek out these pages, OR be naïve enough to follow the offered advise.
Sm.

Return to “Finch Health”