Zebra health

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Skinch29

Hi all, I’m only new and have just bought some zebra finches. I live on the south coast of NSW (jervis bay) . I got the zebs on Saturday just gone (14/03/2020) and have noticed that a couple of the zebs are looking a little crook. One has died but there are 2 more all puffed up and just sitting in one spot, I have noticed that both (a hen and a cock bird) do some strange dance like there trying to be sick. Can someone please let me know what this could be and what I need to do. I’m concerned that others might be infected. Cheers
Rod_L

They either have a cold from cold air blowing over them at night, or they have an infection.

The best treatment for any sick bird is warmth. Put them in a warm (30-35C) draught free cage and have several containers of shallow water in there for them. Have food too.

Have some clean white paper on the bottom of the cage and either take them to a bird vet who can check their poop for infections, or add something like Sulpha D (available from most pet shops). The Sulpha D gets added to the drinking water.

You will need to keep the birds warm for a couple of weeks until they recover.
death to all cats & ants
Skinch29

Thanks I’ll give that a go
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you find out what their diet was like from the person you purchased them from? Have you changed that diet in a major way? Minor changes are fine but major changes can, sometimes, cause problems. Have they gone from a well protected avairy to a very open one? Follow Rods advice while answering these further questions. Zebs are generally one of the must adaptable little birds. Good luck.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”