Less Active Finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Eggburt

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to finch owning. My only bird experience is with my cockatiel who's been with me over 2 years now. Yesterday I brought home my first pair of Gouldians. They seem to be doing well since they're eating, singing, and appear to enjoy their larger cage.
However, my male finch is very active and flies around the cage frequently to explore. My female finch on the other hand mostly stays on one perch and doesn't seem to fly that often. I've only seen her fly around a few times so far. Is this normal?
101549498_287513152639183_5367448495559016448_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod_L

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

She could be stressed from the move and needs a few more days to settle down.

Make sure they are not near any windows or air vents so they don't get cold air on them. If birds get a cold draught on them, they lose heat very quickly and can die overnight.

Birds should get some morning or afternoon sunlight so they get vitamin D. Keep them out of direct sunlight during the middle of the day, especially if it's hot.

Make sure they aren't kept in the kitchen or anywhere there are fumes from cooking, smoke, paint, aerosols, perfumes, air fresheners, bug sprays, etc.

Cover them up with a sheet at night. Leave the room light on when you do that and leave the light on for 30 minutes or so after you have covered them. This gives them time to settle down and go to sleep.

Make sure the birds have a good seed mix, clean water (dechlorinated if possible), cuttlebone, mineral grit, different diameter perches, a vitamin mineral supplement and green feed at all times.

Make sure they get some green feed each day. The following link has information on growing grass seeds for birds. Your Weero (Cockatiel) should also get green feed each day and be treated the same way as the finches.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=21732&p=188305#p188305

----------------------------
In a week or so when she is moving about more, deworm the birds and treat them for air sac mites and lice. Ivermectin is the best thing for this and you can get some from a vet or possibly a bird shop.

Monitor the bird and if she puffs her feathers up, has trouble breathing, starts wheezing, gets a runny nose or watery eyes, or gets a dirty bum, get her to a bird vet asap.
death to all cats & ants
Eggburt

Thank you for all the advice, it helps a lot! My main priority is to make sure they're happy and healthy :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She looks OK, but one pic is not enough to really be sure. If the cage they are in is an open exposed position their behaviour could be affected by this. Particularly if they are used to being in an aviary where they are not so exposed. So who's behaviour is worrying. Is the cock fluttering arround nervously because he is exposed? Or? Is the hen sitting still nervously because she is exposed? Did they come from the same place? Or a pet shop so they may be used to different situations? Make sure the cage is in a corner so they have the security of walls on two sides and see how they respond to the less exposed situation, if you do not have them in a corner already. On a slightly different note. I only use natural wood perches for my birds. This is easy to do, just prune a fruit tree or native tree of a couple of small perches. This is also best for your Cockatiel as they like to chew their perches a little. Most important of all. Enjoy your birds.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”